how to tell a 1990 s penny with no s ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jesse P, Jan 18, 2010.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Perhaps "reflective" would be more explanatory than simply "shiny".

Additionally, the "Proof" manufacturing process produces very high, if not sharp edges on Lincoln Cents.

BTW, the existence of proof coins found in circulation is directly related to their actual value. Just because it's a proof does not mean that it has a value more than it's face value.

Once I bust up a proof set for a specific coin, I usually just spend the rest if they aren't anything special as it is too costly for me to try and sell them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. robec

robec Junior Member

You'll know a proof when you see it. The difference between a circulation strike and proof strike is dramatic.

The proof surface is mirror like, not just shinny. Abe's portrait will also be like a cameo set in the middle of the mirror field.

From CoinFacts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. musicmaster

musicmaster New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here, I want to know if you have any value a coin "1990 no s" because I have 2 in good condition, can someone please explain.

Attached Files:

6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Just a normal cent, read the old posts in this thread they explain the difference.

7. Guesr

Guesr New Member

What if those pennies happen to be uncirculated and purchased directly from the mint as part of a set?

8. Show me the money

Show me the money New Member

What is the value of a 1990 no s proof penny?

9. Main Streamx23

Main Streamx23 New Member

Ok so im new to this also and need more help with the whole rim thing. If its not to much trouble and when you get time
    And so im clear on this neither one of these two are a "no s" right other than not having the s they're referring to a proof

10. Main Streamx23

20161210_081459_HDR.jpg
    So neither one of these are the "no s" correct

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Look at the images in Post #23 and tell us if you think your coins look like those. If you aren't sure, then maybe you should stop searching for any "No S" proof coins.

Chris

12. Main Streamx23

Wow aren't you helpful. So you're telling me even if these coins managed to get put into circulation... Considering kids do exist... But you're telling me no matter what happens to it or how much abuse it takes going through a coins everyday life in circulation, it will still look as perfect as that photo up there. Well thank god... Thanks for the help

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Neither of those coins are proofs. With the amount of luster they have remaining they would still have some of that reflective proof look if they were. Those have the luster and surfaces of a normal circulated business strike.

Main Streamx23 likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell the difference between a circulation strike and a proof strike.

Chris

15. Main Streamx23

Thanks for the help

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is true...it is easy for those of us who have done this for a long time. It can also sometimes get annoying when people ask the same questions over and over. However this place exists for education purposes. For both newbies and those of us with experience. We may have answered this question 50 times but a given member hasn't asked it that many.

Main Streamx23 likes this.
  17. Main Streamx23

As for you dude, it might not take a rocket scientist but considering all i did was ask a question about a coin that has been in circulation for over 25 years (the ones i have not the proofs) and considering i just joined yesterday how about you try being helpful to new collectors and a new mumber rather than looking like some smartass that comments with 0 help

Jennifer Harris and l.cutler like this.
  18. cpm9ball

What! If they don't know how to read, then how do you expect them to understand anything at all?

Chris

19. Main Streamx23

I read this whole forum before posting, as well as half of another after. It seems to me like you're the type of person who talks about whatever without knowing what it is he's even talking about. The fact is i posted pictures to get help. No thanks to you i got that help. However ... If a proof got put into circulation in 1990... And just got found last year to answer the question you asled being a smartass. Yes i do think thats what it would have ended up resembling. Its a penny not everyone knows of its importance. Therefore it would have been dropped, touched handled, slung around pockets, dropped on pavement, and wemt to a bank and back out all inside of 1 month... 25 + years of that and yeah It'll start looking like a regular old penny. Oh my bad thats just my opinion.

Kylie Jackson likes this.
  20. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to treat other people with respect. In addition to no "S" it must also be a proof. If a proof coin has been in circulation long enough it would be difficult if not impossible to differentiate it from a circulation strike. The coins pictured however don't really show that much wear. Proof coins do sometimes find there way into circulation but it is a very small percentage, if you add the rarity of a no "S" into the equation the odds of finding one in circulation would be incredibly small. I hope you hang around and learn with us.

Kylie Jackson and Main Streamx23 like this.
  21. cpm9ball

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't know you were lacking common sense.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted