How to take a photo of a coin without spending a FORTUNE?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by VirginiaMan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. VirginiaMan

VirginiaMan Member

I'm new to Coin Talk....Whew, got that out of the way! So.....my question is: How could I take photographs of my merging coin investment without having to pay a fortune on photographic equipment? I see these incredibly clear, bright, and detailed images on this site and would like to be able to do the same. Any suggestions? (2nd question....."If" any of you answer my post....how do I retrieve your messages?) (Notice the plural of "message"? I'm very optimistic.) Thanking you all....in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

People are going to hate me for saying this, but I've had excellent results with an LG G2 cell phone camera and a desk lamp. The phone has a 13MP camera which is great for cropping, and excellent macro focus.
    The LG G3 is even better, and the G4 is better yet, but those are naturally a bit more expensive.
    It's not the best, but see for yourself how good a cheap phone can do you:
    20160810_224218~2.jpg
    20160810_172932~2.jpg
    20160810_224653~2.jpg

J.A.K. and green18 like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

One could go out and spend tens of thousands of dollars on the highest end camera equipment and still end up with crap photos. Yes, equipment does matter, but it's a tool and as with any tool, is only as useful as the individual using it. This, if one understands their tool, is why someone using a cheap P&S or even a cell phone can produce perfectly acceptable coin images while the above fellow* who doesn't can still end up with garbage.

EDIT:

**by "above fellow" I meant the person in my example buying very high end equipment, and not the poster above me.**

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    green18 likes this.
  5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

As shown above, many smartphones take perfectly acceptable photos. You need to be very careful to hold it steady, for example resting the phone on a pile of books.

For a dedicated setup, there are many threads across the coin forums that describe how to build inexpensive coin photograph setups. My favorite is CoinCommunity (and many of the people post here and there) - http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=81

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Like Books said - you don't need fancy just the ability to use what you have.

Here's from my old 5MP Koday easyshare camera:

Attached Files:

7. Markus1959

And pics from a 30$ scope -

Attached Files:

8. BooksB4Coins

You can get answers that are all over the board, so perhaps it would be best if you explained exactly what you wish to accomplish? Is your desire only to image coins, or does general photography interest you as well? Are you willing to learn how to take a photograph, or would you prefer simply to take "pictures" while having the camera do everything for you? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "merging coin investment" (and will only say I HOPE you know what you're doing), but why do you wish to photograph your coins? Do you wish to produce the best images possible for the money, or is a perfectly acceptable image of a coin for resale what you want? I could go on and on. It also may help if you clarify exactly what you consider a "fortune" to be.

Also, there are many older threads on this subject if you wish to search the archives.

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

What $30 scope are these from?

10. Markus1959

"Plugable Digital Microscope USB 2.0"

Got it from Amazon

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I got reasonably serviceable pictures from my cell phone and decent lighting. Then I upgraded to a relatively inexpensive used 'real' camera/lens set up that I'm just learning to use.

Both shots are reasonable on a typical forum post. But, expand the screen view a bit and you can see the difference.

This is one of my decent cell phone efforts. Got some lighting/lightbox and editing done with an online photo editor for dummies known as PicMonkey.

[​IMG]
    (ignore the copyright thingy, I'm setting up a vanity website that's still a work in progress...including removing all the cell phone pictures that I'd added the website name too).

Here is the same coin with my new set up. It's a Canon Rebel XS (used and 10 megapixel) a dedicated lens (used), bellows, and a stand that allows moving the camera/coin for focusing. The lights are $9.99 Janscos from Ikea. I spent more than some because I wanted a stand/set up that could handle the medals I like to photograph too.

[​IMG]

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Take what you have and practice a lot and change your lighting around.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lighting, lighting, lighting. Along with the proper 'white balance'.........a nice cheapo 'point and shoot' or camera phone like many here have demonstrated and practice, practice, practice. :)

14. Paul M.

I guess it's time for me to break down and buy a couple Jansjo lights from Ikea. :p

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And don't buy 'em from Amazon.......I paid too much. Seems to be a trend with me lately........:)

Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I usually use seller pics, but this coin I bought in a brick and mortar shop, so I had no choice but to take my own pic. I used multiple sources of light from all directions and an LG G4 smart phone camera. I then combined both pictures to make a collage and added a black background after the fact, though it may be much easier to do the black background or whatever background color at the time you take the pics.

Alexander III Tetradrachm.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Jwt708, Paul M. and Markus1959 like this.
  17. Markus1959

At least with Amazon - their return policy is amazingly easy - and fast

green18 likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

And sometimes, if you're really, really lucky, you'll get "guaranteed two-day" three day shipping as well!

19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I think I paid $15 or a little more with free shipping for this USB camera.And I Wasn't to about paying that much.Keep in mind this is also in an airtight holder.:snaphappy::blackalien: gold-1.jpg

Stevearino and Santinidollar like this.
  20. Paul M.

I live 15 minutes from an Ikea, and their return policy is pretty liberal as well. :)

21. Paul M.

@hotwheelsearl @Stork: I'd like to see some more pics and details of the setup you guys use to take those pics (lights, stands, software, etc).

Draft saved Draft deleted