How to spot Conterfeit Confederate Notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Coinut, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Coinut

Coinut Member

I like collecting Confederate notes but I am worried about forgeries. Anyone have any advise on what to look for when looking to buy a Confederate note?
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Everything you need to know about counterfeit Confederate currency can be found in the book 'A Guide Book of Counterfeit Confederate Currency' by George Tremmel.

NOS likes this.
  4. Coinut

Coinut Member

Thanks I may buy that book. I have some notes but nothing expensive or really rare so if I happen to have a forgery I won't be too upset.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Many Reb counterfeits will have a common serial number or date on them. You should purchase a book called "Confederate and Southern States Currency" by G. Criswell.

NOS likes this.
  6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

7. Mithradates

Mithradates New Member

Was the original question about counterfeits, or modern fakes? Some of those old "contemporary counterfeits" can be pretty collectable (and expensive) themselves.

8. Coinut

Coinut Member

It was about modern fakes.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Modern fakes are often printed on the wrong paper, have printed signatures (rather than signed separately) and have printed serial numbers (rather than written on the note after it was printed). If everything on the note was printed at the same time (and all the ink is the same color) that is a clue that the note is fake.

Modern fake Confederate notes are - for the most part - worthless.
    Contemporary counterfeit Confederate notes are collectible and some are quite valuable.

10. Coinut

Coinut Member

The reason I posted this was I have a 1860 Bank of the State of SC note that seems to be on a paper that reminds me of tissue paper. However, it IS signed with the right dark toning of the type of ink used back then and has bled thru some on the back and is numbered, we were just a litle concerned due to the weird paper it was printed on.

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That is not a Confederate note. It is a Southern States note printed before the Civil War. The Confederacy was not formed until February 1861.

12. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

As to its authenticity, banknote paper from that era was often very thin, like tissue. So that's a good sign. A scan would help if you want more advice.

13. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

all great advise here coinut. The book mentioned in the earlier posts is a great refernece system for your records. If you going to start collecting you need to buy this first and read it. Lots of good insight & general info on most of these notes. Have fun!

14. Coinut

Coinut Member

Hobo I understand you may have inferred from my title that I thought my note was a Confederate note. I ALSO have actual CSA notes and this one note got me to ask my general question. I Am fully aware of when the Civil War happened as I actually live in the state that started it.

Thanks to everyone for your great feedback!

15. Bill L.

Bill L. New Member

I've been collecting for over 50 years and I still am very bad at values. My grandmother found an old shoe box full of confederate bills in her attic in East Texas about 70 years ago. I've got several of these and the paper on the $100 are very thin. However one item has me interested. A Texas State bank check to a fellow named Lubbock for $10. Endorsed

16. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Funny how the old countetfeits are more valuable than the real money quite often.

Draft saved Draft deleted