How to set a reserve price on ebay?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AdamL, Mar 18, 2012.

1. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Ok. I'm about done with ebay for now, because its about to ruin my day, lol. I got my account reset so I'm not using the beta form. I followed the instructions above, but when I click "Change" nothing happens.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Got to love lazy companies releasing code not fully tested so that their users can test it and save them some $$$...

4. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

When you click on "Change" you should get a pop-up with the following (I'm based in Canada and using ebay.ca, thus the difference in currency). You should also get on this popup, but not shown here, a empty field after the $ sign where you are to enter your reserve amount.:

Set a reserve price

The reserve price is the absolute lowest price at which you are willing to sell your item. If the highest bid does not meet this price, you're under no obligation to sell the item to the high bidder.

• If you are selling a low value or commodity item, consider selling without a reserve price. Research has shown that selling with a reserve price sometimes results in fewer bids and a lower selling price.
    • Consider setting a reserve price if you are selling a high value item.

Reserve price (see listing fees - opens in a new window or tab)
    C $

5. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Ok guys. I finally got it. Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me. It seemed we were having a problem communicating at first, and it was because I was on the beta form. I like how simple it is. But I don't like that there is no option for a reserve price. Overall, it seems like ebay really really hates reserve prices. Probably because they want every auction to end the same way. With a sale, and them getting paid.
    Do I have to pay fees even if this item doesn't sell?

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Why not just put the minimum start bid at your reserve and be done with it I believe most bidders shun the listings that say "reserve not met" ? Although low start bids like 0.99 attract interest, I have sold things with higher start prices?, and that method works best for me

7. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Interesting. I thought about that. I figured the high start price would not be attractive to bidders. But you're right, it saying "reserve not met" probably isn't attractive to the bidder either.

8. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Reserves are good in auctions where you have item that is rare/there is few other listing of it in ebay. In which case you have a good chance of early bidders bidding up the price to beat the reserve and lessen the chance of low ball offer winning the auction thanking to sniping.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If they haven't changed things, yes you do pay a fee on reserve auctions even if it doesn't sell. You don't pay a fee on a set starting price auction if it doesn't sell.

Draft saved Draft deleted