How to sell 300-500 Dollar Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Obone, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I have about 10 300-800 Dollar Graded Canadian Coins, and they are having trouble selling on ebay, does anyone have any advice as to how to sell, or maybe a different method of selling?
    Thank you very much.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You can look on the search :sold function of eBay to try and get a price range that people are buying at. Each coin is somewhat different due to its history, so in your case look for graded ones. Many find that the market is not to their liking at the moment and hold off a while. Jim

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

While not as commonly collected as American coinage, there should be ample buyers out there for material in this range if priced accordingly. This considered, I can't help but to wonder, and no disrespect is intended, if this is less an issue of the venue, and more due to pricing? How long have they been offered for, and exactly where did you come up with what should be a realistic retail value for each?

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Are these professionally graded, by a top third party grader (PCGS, NGC ) in slabs or are they just graded raw in 2X2's? If they are graded in slabs by an off the shelf no name TPG this could make a huge difference. Also, are they silver, nickel or Loonies?

6. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

@BooksB4Coins
    I look at the trends in CoinsandCanada, as well as the week by week newspaper trends.

7. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

They are all graded by PCGS, NGC, or ICCS.

8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

If they are not selling then I would have to think that the asking price is not appropriate.

9. BooksB4Coins

Thank you.

While I cannot speak for any Canadian-specific, I fear this may have something to due with your lack of luck. Unfortunately, many so-called "guides" publish unrealistic "values", so I would most respectfully suggest trying to nail down verifiable sales prices for each of the coins in the same assigned grade and holder.

10. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Any tips for pricing the coins? This is my situation right now: I usually buy the coins for about 50% of published trends at local auctions.

11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think Books hit the nail. Nothing says market value like a good ol' no-reserve auction.

12. BooksB4Coins

And you're surely not the only one attempting to do so. Unfortunately, profiting from coins often requires more than buying at a percentage of some price guide.

That said, I would start by taking to heart the suggestion already made in post #8.

13. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions, just out of curiosity, how come I see my local dealers selling the coins for about 100% of trends? I have had extremely good luck when selling 1000+ Coins though.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree! If you have quality specimens that many collectors might want for their collections, then a 99c open with no reserve should produce decent sales. The problem is that many sellers think their coins are worth more than they really are.

Chris

coinsareus10 and Nathan401 like this.
  15. cpm9ball

Are those dealers selling them, or is that just what they are asking. There are some dealers who will "sit" on their asking prices forever and never sell them.

Chris

16. BooksB4Coins

@cpm9ball already answered this perfectly...

Don't confuse asking prices with out the door. Dealers can be every bit as individual as collectors, but it's not (or was not) uncommon to find, particularly B&Ms, that ask 30% give/take higher than their actual price, plus it also must be remembered that these guys usually/often have an established clientele, which can make all the difference when it comes to achieved prices.

Selling coins profitably, and honestly, can be an art form, and is usually a lot harder than those new to it assume. A knowledge of YOUR individual market is key, and profits are almost always made on the buy, and means knowing exactly what you can sell a coin for is usually the wisest approach if wishing to profit from it.

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not anymore without an extremely strong following and even then there's no assurance. Even a lot of the PNG dealers have moved to using reserves, the no reserve 99 cent auctions are hammering most sellers

18. cpm9ball

So what if they are PNG members. Big deal! Does that automatically mean that their inventory is all quality coins?

Chris

19. baseball21

I don't care about their membership either, but it does mean that they have the capital to risk it and generally a large following but have decided that it's not worth it. The no reserve 99 cent listing is really the worst way to sell something

20. cpm9ball

Maybe it has changed since 3 years ago, but I sold 150 slabbed Morgans using the 99c No Reserve and I made a very nice profit.

Some people are just too darn greedy!

Chris

21. baseball21

3 years ago I would have very likely agreed on some issues. It's a completely different dynamic with all the changes they have made in that time

Draft saved Draft deleted