How to safely remove old glue from currency?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Owle, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I've tried acetone, got some of the glue off. An expert has offered to remove the rest of the glue for $50 or so, but I would prefer to try something again that has low risk. Any recommendations of stuff that is available at the local hardware store? Simple green? Naptha? Rubbing alcohol?

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Maybe a picture of the note with the glue on it? It may or may not be worth getting it professionally removed but can't give you any information without seeing it. Applying a liquid to a paper note is never a good idea unless you know what you are doing and what the type of liquid will do to the paper (fade, stain, etc.)

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If you keep them far enough away, I don't think scissors would hurt the glue at all :cool:

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I have heard it is the method, more than the substance that is used. I have done searches and seen that water is non-damaging if the wet rag is handled properly during that procedure. On the "never, never, never" clean or do anything to any currency, it just makes it guaranteed when submitted for grading you will get a problem grade. I have soaked in warm municipal water and have gotten problem stains out and straight grades. But inserted the note in a book to prevent krinkles.

Still the glue stain has not come out totally with acetone.

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I've never tried it on paper currency, but I use Goo Gone to remove gooey, gummy, adhesives from all kinds of different surfaces. It has a citrus smell and works well. You could try it on a dollar bill from your wallet to see if it would leave any kind of stain.

7. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Owle, tell us a bit about your note:
    Large size - Small size
    Denomination
    Condition or grade (current)
    Estimated value

Note restoration/conservation very often depends upon the note itself and once a valuation is estimated it would then be possible to determine if 'damaging' the note is worth the effort, time and expense.

Draft saved Draft deleted