How to Retain a CAC Bean when Reholdering?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Publius2, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

This may have been covered before but I don't recall it. Anyway, I have a number of coins in these old-style holders like the one shown, mostly NGC but also a few PCGS that I would like to re-holder in the edge-view style. It's mostly an issue with small coins like half dimes, trimes and the like. But with coins that have a CAC bean, how does one go about getting a new bean relisted to the new holder's certification number? Is that something CAC does routinely or is it a special favor arrangement?

Coin in new holder and old holder/label have to be shipped to CAC?

DLRC-EG 1830 LM-12 Slab Obv-REV-tile.jpg

Vess1 and MIGuy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Peel it off, just stick it back on.

Just kidding. ;)

I think you'd probably have to send it back to CAC afterwards, for re-stickering. You may not need the old holder as long as the new holder has the same cert number. I dunno, since I've never sent anything to CAC at all.

I just discovered that one of my stickerless coins is CAC verified. I never knew it until I put it on the Registry, where it showed up as F12 CAC. (I put it on the NGC Registry despite it being a PCGS coin.)

So maybe this one got reholdered somewhere along the way, or lost its sticker some other way, but it shows up in the CAC database, which is what counts.

[​IMG]

MIGuy and wxcoin like this.
  4. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Maybe they will come up with a RECAC bean.

Joshua Lemons and MIGuy like this.
  5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

CACcoin.com. Navigate to Education Forum.
    BUT, Closed until next week for CAC vacation.
    No other comment at this time, for other reasons.

ldhair likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Theres two issues here. The first is that depending on the older holder reholdering them can be a huge mistake.

That said as far as the reholdering goes, theres no way to keep the CAC sticker. They have to be resubmitted to CAC for a new sticker, but theres no special arrangement for it. If the cert number is the same you can submit them under the resticker tier, although with them shutting down the economy tier from being swamped I'm not sure the lower restickering fee is an option at this point in time. If you have to submit them again normally yea you can include a note about the cert number and being previously stickered and should be fine

Publius2 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have no idea but if you re-holder them I hope you can be successful in retaining the bean.

8. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

If the grade stays the same then all you have to do is send it back to CAC. I saw a bust half that the variety was improperly designated. The dealer resubmitted it and got the variety fixed and sent it back to cac for the resticker. The grade stayed the same.

9. Vertigo

Economy is up now. And resticker has always available when economy is shut down.

10. Publius2

Thanks for everyone taking the trouble to advise. Much appreciated.

11. robec

robec Junior Member

The Cert number has to be the same as well as the grade. Restickering used to be $3. I think it has gone up to $5.

12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I can't believe the TPGs haven't added a CAC sticker designation to their labels (for a fee) in order to prove it had a CAC before getting re-holdered. Thought they would have done this by now unless CAC is stopping them because they want the repeat business.

13. charley

I would suggest a review of CACcoin.com. It would help with info, such as PCGS/CAC having a Pop coordinated effort.

I am not certain why the CAC POP Report on-line does not suffice for the info you suggest, since it identifies the TPG. What else would PCGS do, or are you suggesting that if a coin has received a CAC Pass, and then the owner wants to re-submit for an evaluation that requires new encapsulation PCGS should note the previous CAC designation? The issue with that is fairly obvious-the coin has a new evaluation, and it may not receive CAC Pass, if submitted to CACA for evaluation of the piece in the new Holder. To do otherwise, would open a can of worms and and accounting and business nightmare and constant abuses.

Remember when TPGs was "paying" 50 cents when the old grade identifier was returned, and it was going to make things better, for the POPs and the market, etc.? That worked well.

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

The old holder with CAC sticker is removed and thrown away while the new holder comes back without it. It may be recorded with the ability to look it up but its definitely not as good advertising as having it on there for people who are in the market for them. IF it's a coin for sale. It's inconvenient to look it up. It's easy to look at a green sticker. It's incovenienet (risky) to put them back into the shipping system for another go around to get the sticker back on.
    A stamp or hologram on the label from the TPG would suffice and probably be less distracting. Maybe more desirable. I'm not big into them personally. Think I have one. Not avoiding them but not pursuing them as a "got to have". The TPG could split the fee with CAC to do it. It's about convenience.

15. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

@Publius2 To your original post, the coin will retain the same serial number with the re-holder on a new label. I've had several done. I don't think anyone responded to that part. Unless it's a crossover.

Publius2 likes this.
  16. Publius2

Aah, that I didn't know. That would explain why CAC would be willing to resticker a reholdered coin that comes with the same serial number and the same grade. They are able to identify the coin because the TPG that reholdered it certifies (by virtue of the same serial number) it's the same coin that CAC looked at and beaned previously.

17. charley

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am certain you would do well to navigate to CACcoin.com. What you suggest and propose is not making a market. It possibly may be destroying a market, though.

I still think you are not understanding that there is a coordination between CAC and PCGS, and NGC, as to POPs and SN coordination. The coin can already be "looked up". It is very convenient to look up. Please, navigate to CACcoin.com.

18. Vertigo

That's exactly it. Unless you crack it out and submit it raw. That's the only time you risk it. I'm with some of the others though, I wouldn't re holder an old holder. But I understand what you are trying to achieve with that.

19. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

There may be an issue as to how far CAC will trust TPGs to get things right. CAC trusts the TPGs to put the old cert. no. on the new label. But to designate on the new label that the coin was CAC-approved, likely CAC would not approve and deny its validity. CAC would want to see the coin again just make sure things are correct.

It would be more than a money issue. A computer foul-up at a TPG could result in CAC approval being put on labels of coins that had never actually been approved by CAC. Yeah, folks could look-up the number at CAC's website to check, but how many do that? I've bought lots of beaned coins and have looked-up few on the CAC website. And I should, but if the bean looks good, laziness wins. :meh: I'm probably typical.

Cal

20. Publius2

Well, I'm notoriously indolent but I look up every TPG cert number and every CAC coin before I bid or buy. This is where self-preservation wins out over laziness. OTOH, I have never run across a bad cert or CAC lookup although I have run across a TPG database foulup on two occasions.

21. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

CAC has a "re-sticker" service and price. You could also retain the original cert number from the given TPG, asuming you dont crack them out beforehand and assuming you keep the same TPG.

I have re-holdered coins, kept the original cert on the new holder, and had CAC re-sticker. But you could also have it re-stickered even with a new cert. The coin isnt changing afterall. More work for CAC obviously, but the price is actually the same.

Publius2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted