How to remove shellac(?) from a banknote

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by hotwheelsearl, Aug 17, 2019.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have quite a lovely 1935 Canadian Bank of Commerce $10. Unfortunately it has what I believe is shellac or some other sort of organic adhesive on the back.

I believe this is worth upwards of $100, so definitely worth a conservation effort.

What are my options to remove the adhesive without damaging the paper or the ink?

48C0D04F-F89B-4FB4-BBB5-CE51473D5C08.jpeg
    906064AE-6883-42DA-B01C-C0603875B12D.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

It is certainly not something I would try to do myself. I would send it in for conservation if they say they believe they could remove it. I've heard of individuals that have used a Q-tip with a light amount of acetone, but like I said, I wouldn't try it myself.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Looks like the remnants of a rubber band, perhaps it was in a wad.

ldhair and Stevearino like this.
  5. James Shields

James Shields Active Member

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I wouldn't use GooGone! laughhard.gif

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Don't use a Goof Off. That stuff will probably remove the original government ink on the bill.

I would not attempt anything like this myself. I would make inquiries from professionals for this type of restoration.

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice!

Since the residue does not seem to be causing long-lasting impacts, I might just leave it on for now. I'm not sure if paying for a conservation is worth the investment, considering the relatively low value of the note.

I might try using mild mechanical means to remove the bulk of it, and then just leave it alone from there.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted