How to remove glue from paper money...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by coinman1234, Dec 20, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I have a 1957a silver certificate, it would have been uncirculated except for the fact that the back is covered with adhesive. I have told my coin dealer that I like old silver certificate, he told me that if he gets any in lots he normally just spends them and if he gets them he will save them for me. Anyways, he got one in on a picture frame, along with some silver coins, unfortunately the note was glued to the frame according to him. He was able to remove it but the reverse is still covered with the adhesive. How should this be removed, if even at all?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The first step is to figure out what type of glue you are dealing with. If you can get a tiny amount of the glue off the note, see if water will melt it.

johnny2dollar and swamp yankee like this.
  4. coinman1234

Looks like the old fashion kind that you brush on, I will see if water will help...

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Stamp collectors have a special liquid for taking stamps off paper, I think it digests animal based glues.

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I first try warm water and next acetone. Don't ever try MS70 as you will end up with a white sheet of paper. LOL. Trust me on that.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Is acetone really safe with paper money?

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The organic fibers of the bill is the problem. Unlike removing adhesive from metal coins, the difference between the organic fibers and a household type of adhesive is very narrow, so anything dissolving the adhesive will pose a severe risk to the paper money fibers or ink. I would put it back into a frame and hang it up.

NOS likes this.
  9. David Setree Rare Coins

I use it to remove tape, tape residue and glue. I've never had a problem. Modern tape is a bit difficlut. Old tape was a piece of plastic with glue on one side. The glue dissolves and the plastic falls off. Modern clear office tape is homogenous. The entire piece dissolves and can spread through the paper. It requires a triple bath.

10. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Regardless of which method you try, it wouldn't hurt to put a variety of glues/tapes on a common $1 to experiment with and make sure your cleaning method works and doesn't destroy the note.

Insider likes this.
  11. David Setree Rare Coins

I learned that the hard way years and years ago. Put some MS70 on a Black Eagle and ended up with a clean, white piece of paper. How stupid we can be in youth. Heh.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You have used acetone on paper money without problems?

Stevearino likes this.
  13. coinman1234

I did warm water on a Q-Tip, after I tried rubbing alcohol. It didn't really help much, maybe a little though. I don't want to make it all unnatural either.

14. David Setree Rare Coins

Yes I have. Use at your own risk though as I am certain there must be some kind of paper money and some kind of contaminate that will screw up your collectable but yes. I have used it on US paper. Like I said. Modern tapes totally dissolve and can permeate the paper requiring multiply baths.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. glenn strange

glenn strange New Member

I have some ww11 bank notes dating back to 1920 that my father used clear tape to secure them all together, probably to stuffed away in his gear flying back from England, any recommendations to remove or let it be.. thx

Stevearino likes this.
  16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I think your safe to use this note to experiment on as long as you didn't pay to
    Much for it or you don't have any emotional attachment to, the 1957, S were
    Massively over printed even in Gem B/U there value is under $20 have several
    *STARS* that one day might be worth $20..LOL

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

@mpcusa , the quote above is from a 2015 post that @glenn strange found and added his question yesterday.

18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Not sure if he ever solved the problem ? maybe he can let us in on it...., just
    It case he was still around ?

19. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Let them be. You have a short snorter roll. It loses its historical integrity the notes are separated.

coinman1234 likes this.
  20. coinman1234

I think was able to mostly clear it up. It is in my currency collection right now. Thanks for the help!

21. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Should I try warm water on this for starters? They taped this to cardboard... :-(

Thank you. Islip-Bank-5.jpg

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted