How to remove crud?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Oct 23, 2021.

1. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Almost forgot, when and if you purchase the DANSCO album 7000, make sure you also purchase the protective slip cover.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

The after shows loss of luster to me. A flat appearance in my estimation.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Acetone is a solvent and removes many organic materials. It does not react, remove, or alter any surface metal or toning. Luster is due to microscope flow lines. Since the flow lines are surface metal, they won't be affected by acetone.

Hope this clarifies things.

Pickin and Grinin and capthank like this.
  5. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Thanks

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Ditto

7. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I tried some olive oil on one. Just dabbed it on a coin with a q-tip. The
    I bought a $10 album on feebay. These were in it.

I did dab some olive oil on one. Luster appearance improved but some color diminished a bit.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/hkWwCh2Am40?feature=share

8. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's the way to go. Glad you noticed the other great information provided.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

couple of terminally toned Lincolns.
    upload_2021-10-23_19-30-36.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-23_19-31-1.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-23_19-35-35.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-23_19-36-15.jpeg
    The 79' spent a good year and a half in the green house.

capthank likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

uh...nowhere on that site does it say acetone removes luster...IT DOESN'T

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Olive oil is a tried and true "cleaning" agent often used for ancient coins to remove crud from the ages. The consensus of opinion is that it removes real crud, but also darkens the coin. What you have on your coins is natural toning. Copper (bronze, brass, etc) coins start off as "red" and progress through red-brown to brown. The only way to escape this is to protect the coins from air and light.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. Kentucky

I would like for someone to investigate the use of mild reducing agents such as sodium sulfite as a copper coin brightener.

14. Pickin and Grinin

@desertgem

15. Pickin and Grinin

16. Kentucky

Perhaps, sodium sulfite is a mild reducing agent which will oxidize from sodium sulfite to sodium sulfate while the copper oxide reduces to copper...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

10 seconds in acetone won't do anything. Acetone can't dissolve contaminants that are underneath grime. Soak in distilled water first to loosen and remove grime. Then acetone to remove underlying organic contaminants. Let it soak for at least 10 minutes or so. Longer is fine as long as the acetone is sealed so it can't evaporate.

18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Pickin and Grinin, posted:"No where in that article does it say acetone removes luster. Acetone is mostly virtually harmless to a copper coin, and absolutely harmless to nickel clad, silver, and gold."

Actually, the unknow author of the article DID imply that acetone removes "Mint Luster." Of course this is not true.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  19. Pickin and Grinin

I guess I still am missing
    I guess I still am missing that part. What I did read implied that finger nail polish remover is acetone based, but has other ingredients that may harm the coin.

20. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Correct. The article never says or implies that acetone removes mint luster. What the author did say is "As you can see in the photos, the cleaned coin has lost all mint luster and is discolored", but there is no indication, implied or otherwise, on how that example was cleaned. It looks to me like vinegar was used.

capthank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted