How to remove artificial toning on coins especially silver?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Oct 25, 2021.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

Cyanide? Sounds a bit extreme lol is that what makes some of those silver coins that extremely bright white?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AirborneReams

Also I’m questioning that D now I asked for clearer pictures of the MM when he has a chance but it looks filled to me, I don’t know how common filled Ds were back then if at all? And it’s hard to make out if there are north or south serifs on the left side of the D which would mean it was most likely a 1932-P previously

4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

No ethics problem there, right. One you tarnish the coin, removing the "tone" removes part of the surface because the surface is chemically transformed. So you are likely doing even more damage to it.

AirborneReams likes this.
  5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Acwetone can't remove anything but organic material the metal of the coin is safe and it is not going to help with a tanished coin, which is that the toning is....if it is real toning,

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well cyanide is still used today ( mostly offshore ) to extract gold dust from crushed ore.But use in numismatics stopped for most after this news back in 1922.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/archive/drinking-and-coin-cleaning-a-deadly-mix

and less dangerous methods prevailed. I am in an area where alluvial gold is still mined, they use cyanide spray over crushed ore to leach leach1.JPG out the gold particles.

Jim

7. AirborneReams

I believe that to be chemically enhanced with a reagent not natural, he has told me that he does this to his coins. I may leave it as is if I do pick it up.

8. AirborneReams

That was a good read, sad mistake! I did not know cyanide played a part in the numismatic field or for separating gold, thank you for the share!

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

According to "New Posts" this thread is "Answered"...what was the answer?

10. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I don't have experience with MS70 specifically but I think that's a particularly aggressive dip if I recall.

RIP Mr. Saltus :eek:
    That’s an alternate spelling my great grandfather used because he didn’t know English. :woot:

11. Qsins

Qsins Member

Graffiti

I was just looking at a post few days I go I think it was a gold coin. And it had grafitti on it. The buyer was aware so good thing he was happy with the price.

Anyway

I can't help but to look at the left of Washingtons nose & I swear I see multiple letters & #s.

Sorry if my mind's playing tricks on me.
    Turn the coin side ways & infront of the nose is a 6 then slight lower to right a V & lower right of that a $ .25.

John Burgess and AirborneReams like this.
  12. AirborneReams

I believe it was the moderator on the first page, he gave in depth details. I have some people saying acetone is fine and other say it’s not. If I do I’m go ahead and pick it up I may let it be just in case that chemical toner removes any luster it may be binded to. Im more interested in seeing a more clear picture of the MM before I move forward to see if it’s authentic or not.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. AirborneReams

I see what your saying with the 6 lol good eyes! The other ones not so much maybe a 55? I’m concerned about the D as it looks filled and should not be, It looks like a square blob to me. Also I am not seeing the serifs that should be there also

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's the picture from exaggerating the toning, but yeah, that 6 or 9 in front of his nose is concerning also.

15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

It's not a dip, but for this application you can use it like one. Unlike dips which are strong acids, MS70 is a strong base.

AirborneReams and Evan Saltis like this.
  16. AirborneReams

Yes I agree that is a good observation I did not catch that until mentioned, that could give it a scratched details. I wish his pictures weren’t so grainy. He said he will send more pictures but that was yesterday still nothing I will update if or when they come him.

Draft saved Draft deleted