How to remove artificial toning on coins especially silver?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Oct 25, 2021.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

No it’s not them it’s just a small time guy not an actual store. I wonder how they can get them slabbed if they’re not naturally toned do you know? I thought it would usually be graded as questionable color?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AirborneReams

This is true but after further talking he would do a coin trade of coins I have that I don’t care for much. I will add pictures of his 32-D

4. AirborneReams

I have purchased from this gentleman for a few years as he has purchased from me. He’s never sold me anything fake and if that’s the case I can return it. It’s hard to tell if it’s been cleaned his pictures aren’t that good that he takes for his coins and a lot of the times they look cleaned because the picture quality and when I get the coin it is not cleaned. I can add pictures of it.

5. AirborneReams

Yes he does it to all of his coins because he thinks it bring a premium. I have pirated a few of his coins over the years and besides the toning they were problem free, he just has that thought.

6. AirborneReams

This is true but also he would like to either do money or take a trade of coins I don’t care much for but that he collects. I’m always up for a trade, I have also purchased from him multiple times over time which he has purchased from me as well.

7. AirborneReams

Here’s the 1932-D a lot of the time from coins I have previously purchased from him they will look cleaned but when I get them they are problem free idk if it’s the lighting or the camera he uses because the coins always look a lot nicer in hand. He also is up for me to buy it or he will take a coin trade. Me and him have also purchased from each other multiple times over the years.
    086FAB6D-88BD-44C7-85F0-73126AA09426.png B626E1D6-6896-40D4-93F2-9C3BA8E7D6B6.png

John Burgess likes this.
  8. AirborneReams

No thank his that would sad if anyone torched a coin of value I would report them to highest form of government to have them removed from the US LOL. No he uses chemicals just like those Morgan’s you’ll see on the bay

9. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Heavy pass.
    No way to make that coin not details.
    Sorry :/

AirborneReams likes this.
  10. AirborneReams

Not even acetone? And also he wants to trade me for a handful of franklins I have which I have quite a few and they don’t mean much to me.

11. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Give it a quick dip in MS70 for a few seconds, then rinse with distilled water. It will take off any stains or artificial toning right fast when used this way.

12. AirborneReams

Don’t mind me asking but what is MS70? Lol

13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

This topic opened up some things about my Morgan coins that have plagued me for quite a while.
    I bought a batch of Morgan coins about 10 years ago on HSN when Mike Mezak (or however it's spelled). There were 20 Morgans in a plastic tube. The tube had raised dividers to keep the coins from scratching one another. I had been collecting for a very few years. (Maybe 2or 3) Believe it or not, I had not seen or knew of Morgan One Dollar Coins until I inherited some from my father. I thought all of the coins were very nice, since I didn't know squat about Morgans, Peace, Eisenhower, Susan B. Anthony and so on. I put the coins in the tube in a box with my other coins. Recently, there has been quite a few entries about toning coins or toned coins. I started looking a bit closer at my Morgans and I noticed some coloring on the inside edge, which was faint, but it was really there. My first question is... How does toning begin? Then, what causes the toning to increase closer to the center? and again, Is thee any rhyme or reason for the colors? In other words, Is the first color on the outer edge blue?
    Are there any publications that can educate me on the Toning of Coins? For what I have seen or heard, a great deal of the information is passed down from generation to generation.
    Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I'm not stupid, but I am ignorant when it comes to coins. I've only been collecting since 2008 and started with small amount of purchases. I made 1 USM purchases in 2008 ($20.90), 1 - 2009 ($57.90), 3 in 2010 (140.80), 3 in 2011($1,122.75), 5 in 2012 ($1,845.05), 4 in 2013 (317.70), 5 in 2014 (1,903.65), 4 in 2015 (254.60), 22 in 2016 (4,387.20) and on, and on, and on, etc. Either the Mint got better or was listening to we collectors, but then our dear master of the U.S.Mint started juggling the books and found that the Mint could maker more money if the gave great discounts to dealers and give those coins the opportunity to buy the coins way before collectors could.
    I, for one, am glad that Ryder is gone, however, this could be a matter of the deep blue sea making money and collectors would fight over the scraps. I'm not familiar with the Temporary Director. If she is a politician, we may not be any better.
    I wish the bust to you all in your hunt for your dream coins. Mine is still an MS 64 St Gauden One Ounce Gold Eagle. It doesn't matter what year, just one that I can afford.

John Burgess likes this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I think that depends on how, or with what, it was artificially toned with.

I, personally, would send it to be conserved and then graded. Let the professional do the "cleaning" and get a straight grade. If you don't know what you are doing, you could ruin a good coin forever. JMHO.

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that most all AT on silver coins is a reagent that reacted with the silver caused the coin to tarnish. It's not usually some dye that comes off with acetone.

As such, the only "cure" is to dip the coin, but only strips off more metal which will make the coin duller. I don't know how they do it, but some of the stuff the coin doctors use causes the coin to get more luster. When you dip it, that is gone.

16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

That topic, is a Loooooooong discussion with varying opinions. and this really isn't the place to have it, I've been on this site for a couple years now, and this comes up once in a blue moon, and it gets beaten about the head and then cast aside. there are threads on silver toning on here though, and you can always start another, I wouldn't mind rehashing on it, but I don't want to do it here on this thread.

17. AirborneReams

That’s not a bad idea I’ve been to look into the pricing for their conservation services. Also is that you in the picture? Looks like Montana and looks like a mountain man to me

18. AirborneReams

I’m nervous if I do dip it in acetone and it removes it but the area with the reagent creates a permanent spot

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Luckily they have changed ( well except the week-end gold diggers) from using cyanide to "bright white" silver/gold coins back in the days when toning was worth less than bright white.
    Coins that were/are put into cyanide or full strength commercial dips get a dull shine and no "wagon wheels" or color as both depend on microscopic ridges to produce both and those ridges if dissolved away can never be replaced chemically. Jim

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I am unable to confirm or deny as WITSE prohibits sharing personal information.

21. AirborneReams

You had me at WITSE

Draft saved Draft deleted