How to put large dollars in 2x2s easily

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lincoln Cents, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

Ever have trouble putting those thick large dollars into those thin 2x2s? Here's an easy way to do it.

Step 1: Fold the 2x2 in half without the coin in it.
    New Photos1 011.jpg
    Step 2: Staple the edge by the fold and the two adjacent sides.
    New Photos1 012.jpg
    Step 3: Slide the coin in the open side.
    New Photos1 015.jpg
    Step 4: Staple the remaining edge.
    New Photos1 017.jpg
    Now you're done.

P.S. I probably wouldn't do this on proof coins because I'm paranoid about scratching them by touching them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

problem is gone

I used to have trouble when I used a standard desk-top stapler. However, using a pliers style stapler I no longer have any difficulty assembling the silver dollar sized 2x2s. The pliers style stapler provides very positive & accurate placement of the staple(s). I simply insert the coin & then hit it accurately 4x with the pliers style stapler.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Sorry, but this is a bad idea all around for anything other than junk, nor is it that difficult to staple these 2x2s if you so choose to use them. Place the first staple opposite the fold then do the sides. Sliding in a coin like that can cause irreversible problems.

5. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

try buying 2.5 x 2.5's. that what i use for large size dollars

6. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

Try Saflips (like these on eBay) -- They don't require staples, and they fit up to 40mm coins/medals pretty easily. As someone else mentioned, I would recommend staying away from anything that requires staples -- they are a dangerous thing to have around anything worth more than $5 or $10.

EDIT: I buy my SAFLIPs from this website: https://www.coinpocket.com/SaflipCategoryPage.php

It's the best price around including shipping (ends up being around $8 per 50 SAFLIPs, and the guy who runs the website (Mark) is a nice guy.

7. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I used a sharpie to place lines on my stapler. Align the edge of the flip to the lines and you get perfect staples and pretty symmetry.
    Lance.

8. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I staple the 4 corners instead of the 4 sides. Never had any trouble

9. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i staple the corners and i am very careful on anything that i staple.
    i have yet to damage a coin stapling it into a 2x2.
    knock on wood...

cody

10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I usually sandwich the coin first before I staple the holder. I hold the coin through the mylar so it doesn't move or gets fingerprints. And I usually only staple the three open sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted