How to identify mintplaces? (Byzantine)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

I just want to know how you can identify the mintplaces of a byzantine coin from 400-600 when there is no information on it?

For example this coin here is without any doubt minted in Nicomedia, because of the "N" and "I" between the big denomination af 10 nummi on the reverse:
    44 Nicomedia.jpg

And this coin beneath is minted in Theupolis because it states so on the reverse:
    383 Theoupolis.jpg

..But why does David Sear say that those coins beneath here are all from Theupolis when there are no mint-marks:

Sear 535 Theoupolis: ?
    535 Theoupolis.jpg

Sear 381 Theoupolis ?
    381 Theoupolis.jpg

Does the "R" and/or "e" beneath the K provide information that they are from Theupolis?

And this coin here is identified as from Ravenna, but there is ZERO information about mintplace:

Sear 326 Ravenna:
    326 Ravenna.jpg

How do you know that the last 3 coins are from Theupolis and Ravenna? Tell me please.

Thanks

Pellinore and Theodosius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

It could be from the style. Finding coins that look similar and are mintmarked probably come from the same place as the non-mintmarked ones. I think I read somewhere the Theopolis ones are monograms.

Herberto likes this.
  4. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Many of the later Byzantine coins are believed to be minted at the SBCV listed mints because of site finds. They no longer listed the mint.

If you want more knowledge on a specific time period I suggest you look up the Dumbarton Oakes Catalogs , they will go into specifics regarding mints and why a coin is designated from there. That is the info SBCV used. They are available for free online.

Pellinore, DonnaML and Herberto like this.
  5. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

In addition I would recommend MIBE (Money of the Incipient Byzantine Empire) and MIBEC (MIBE Continued) by Wolfgang Hanh.

SC

Pellinore and BenSi like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted