How To Hold a Coin

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Speedy, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Jens
    I would not try Letex Gloves as I think bad things could happen...that is the kind of gloves they use in Hospital and I don't think they handly coins with them....they might have something on them.

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, condensation is bad - any moisture is bad. You should not even breathe over top of your coins for the small water vapor droplets in your breath can cause spots to develop on the coin later. Now that may sound extreme - but it is quite true.

Latex gloves are not recommended for use while handling coins. The gloves themselves can & will leave a residue on the coins. Now I found this hard to imagine until a detective friend of mine showed me that you could actually lift prints, with a fingerprint kit, left by latex gloves. It's just a smudge really, no identifiable marks, but they're still there.

4. Speedy

NEAT!!!!
    I go huntting with a detective and he was telling me about getting fingerprints from guys even if they are dead...so watch what your fingers touch!!! :D

Speedy

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Hmmm yes you all make very good points. I'm not much of a glove wearer so I was just shooting a possibility out there.

6. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

NOS,

I don't think you have much to worry about...you know how many shirts they would have to ID to get your prints ;)

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

8. bruce68901

bruce68901 New Member

gloves

What about latex gloves cheap moisture proof?
    for handling coins

Bruce

9. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

You seal it a 2x2, put it in a box and stick the box somewhere that you never look and forget about it! Sorry, I couldn't resist that one! :eek:dd: :D :hammer:

Frank:) :) :) :) :) :)

10. GDJMSP

Never use latex gloves ! Read the other posts in this thread for the reasons.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Whats wrong with just holding them in your hand? They are COINS, usually circulated ones.

12. Speedy

Its fine to hold them with your hands as long as you hold them by the rims/edge.
    If you don't they can get fingerprints.
    Now with circulated coins...your not going to get fingerprints but after a while you might wear down some detail and lower the value of your coin.

Speedy

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Being a comic book collector for 3 decades, reading this thread on holding a coin seems amusing. This goes under the rule I have that I don't purchase ANYTHING I'm afraid to handle.

Ruben

14. Speedy

Better change that rule...one fingerprint can lower a coins value up to 50%. :D

Speedy

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

16. Burks

Burks New Member

I always hold every coin by the rim/edge no matter what grade. If in a 2x2, hold the 2x2 by the edge. This is especially true when it isn't mine.

17. bga27

bga27 New Member

same here, burks. i hate seeing coins, especially pennies, with ugly fingerprints.

18. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

My sister wanted to look at one of my proof coins.
    Dated 1979, immaculate it was.

My sister took it out it's sleeve and was holding it thumb over the front, index on the back...I dived at her to take it away before she could do anymore damage.

She said 'it's only a coin', luckily with a light wipe from a bit of fabric the recently made prints were eradicated.

I also once bought a silver proof coin straight from the royal mint...it arrived to me seeled in a box, then in a capsule...but on the queens face was a very noticeable thumb print...I was so annoyed.
    The coin was 3 weeks late in delivery anyway...so I couldn't be bothered to return it.

As it happens, I have bought this years version of the coin...and it is currently 11 days late in delivery...I hope this one is print free.

19. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

From what i understand the best way to hold a coin is by the edges with light cotton gloves, for the sake of argument is it also safe to hold the a coin with gloves, on the face of the coin.:confused:

20. Speedy

I would say no--in fact IMHO you can hold a coin by the edge without the gloves---I never use them as they almost make you more prone to drop the coin than if you didn't have on the gloves.

Speedy

21. GDJMSP

Absolutely not. The gloves would leave hairlines on the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted