How to get residue off slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunt1, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Ok first off im sorry if i spelled residue wrong.

But these annoying sales stickers always leave a residue when you peel them off on my NGC slabs, does anyone have a solution that wont hurt the slab and will remove the material?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

4. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

There is a product called "Goo-Gone"

Do not apply directly tot he slab, use a soft cotton cloth rag, apply f few drops and gently wipe the area. ~walaa~

5. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Anything else? I dont have ebay acc nor do i wanna get one :)

6. tmoneyeagles

At least have a PayPal account?
    Slab Renew should do the trick

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

There's a produce called Bestine (sp?) that is VERY good on rubber cement but doesn'y harm plastic.
    The only problem might(?) be any reflective label on the slab.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

9. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I just want the residue off not scatches.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

Then your SoL buddy! LOL! I don't think you get it, that product has dual benefits for your slabs. A plastic clearner-conditioner that takes off fingerprints, residue, etc, AND for scratches if and when you get a slab with scratches or you accidentally scratch your own. But if you want to preserve your scratches, be my guest. Just trying to help you out per your request for info.

11. tmoneyeagles

And everything suggested will do the trick.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You might read this thread for scratch removal.
    http://www.cointalk.com/t48768/

To remove residue, I mentioned in the other thread on slab/label removal that I use Ronson liquid lighter fluid ( the 99 cent store has it for hmmmm .99 ) test it, put a little on a paper towel and rub the residue. It has never hurt the slab plastic for me, but mileage may vary.

Jim

13. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Would you guys bealive that just a tissue with smooth rubbing took it right off, no scratches.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Yes I can belive it removed the residue on the surface of your slab. However, have you yet looked at the surface of the slab with a loupe? Do you see any hairline-like scratches under magnification?

15. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Stop being so mean..........LOL j/k I think Ima by some of that stuff tmoney posted anybody ever use it¿ you ever use the stuff you posted krispy¿

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Mean???

Yes, I've used the lighter fluid method (on all sorts of plastics and acrylics, including slabs), tried alcohol wipes, slab renew and novus. I recommend the products made for coin slabs as different percentages of isopropyl alcohol can have different and unintended effects on some plastics, denatured alcohol is dangerous to handle and inhale and lighter fluid can be dangerous if you are not careful with it. Also you don't necessarily know the purity of some flammable products. I find that the plastic polishes tend to be safer for newbies and less reactive with the slab materials, especially if the slab materials change over time when new slab types are introduced.

17. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

cool i have been using egg whites on my slabs.....it works great but its a pain

18. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Nope dont see any hairlines.

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Really? Egg whites?...:confused: Now that's one from out in left field! LOL!

So what's your process and how did you come by this? Do you have to do anything special to keep your plastic from smelling like rotten eggs later on?

20. krispy

krispy krispy

Good to hear!

21. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

you have to make sure that you micro wave the whites for around 25 seconds.........the first batch I did I did not know this and the whites got quite stinky. one of the slabs turned a pink color actually. this only works on slabbed roosevelts that are silver and mercury dimes dated 1941 onward

Draft saved Draft deleted