How to get a YN started

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by USAcoinMaster, May 23, 2015.

1. USAcoinMaster

USAcoinMaster New Member

I have a little sister age 8 who desperately wants to collect, but I dont know how to start her off.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is state quarters, mine is 7, and it's a very inexpensive and fun way to start!

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Circulation finds! I remember filling a Whitman folder of Jefferson nickels at that age and having a blast. These days, state quarters are probably the most fun you can have hunting from circulation.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Until recently I had a YN in the house. I found a foot to the small of the back combined with a forward extension of the leg usually was required to get him "started" in the morning. :D

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Buy her a Red Book.

Chris

V. Kurt Bellman, rzage and Paul M. like this.
  7. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

8. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup. Whitman's, not Chairman Mao's.

rzage and Paul M. like this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Definitely a Redbook as Chris stated , and State Quarters as Charles 1997 stated as they are easy to find in circulation and have a wide variety of subjects . Does she like anything in particular like horses or flowers , as world coins have many different subjects and are quite cheap . Good luck , but definitely show some interest and don't force it . It's either there or it isn't .

Paul M. likes this.
  10. USAcoinMaster

USAcoinMaster New Member

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

might also get her a cent folder an some rolls of pennies to search thru to fill the holes in the folder..

rzage likes this.
  12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

That's how most of us old guys started . I recently bought a bag of wheaties mostly 30-40s and the 2 blue Whitmans , but I do throw in a semi key and the early dates just enough to keep her interested . This Christmas she got me in our $10 grab bag and heard she was super excited and asked her dad to take her to the local CS where she went in herself and bought me an Indian cent and a dateless Buffalo nickel . They are now priceless parts of coins that I never want sold and hope they stay in our family's future for a long time .

13. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Start her out with what she wants to collect, the red book is a good starting place for images for her to look at ...

14. V. Kurt Bellman

What if the 8-year-old sister announces, "I like Capped Bust gold"? :happy:

Coinchemistry 2012, Paul M. and rzage like this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

16. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

May sound weird, but the few I've kick started who had an interest, I bought each a five pound bag of world coins. They cost about $10 and had around 200 or so coins. It sparked their interest, and not so much for world coins, but in coins in general.

17. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Great to hear! if a Redbook is in the near future, I have a few from several recent years that I've been wanting to get rid of (don't collect the Redbook here) and if this years' coinage isn't a must, let me know :)

Draft saved Draft deleted