How to get a refund on a counterfeit purchased 20 years ago

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by david clark, Nov 20, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Retired federal judge. He survived Senate Judiciary Committee gauntlet. I’d give him ANY benefit of the doubt.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

The bio I saw listed New York (state) administrative law judge (not that it makes any difference). That itself doesn't necessarily mean much to me. The way he handled this coin does. I think his actions speak volumes about his character and much more than a CV ever could.

Aunduril and Oldhoopster like this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When it comes to counterfeits, it's the same with any coin, not just ancients. By law, title cannot be passed when a coin is a counterfeit sold as being genuine. So there is no time expiration, not ever. With any coin, that is sold as being genuine, and is later proved to be a counterfeit, a full refund must be given - no matter how long it has been since the coin was sold.

But even when coins are not counterfeits, there are a great many dealers who offer and stand by lifetime guarantees.

ldhair and Michael K like this.
  5. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

I do the same, I only purchase from dealers who have a lifetime guarantee of authenticity and keep the receipts in a binder just in case...though I do only have 4 ancients currently.

6. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

Looks like this is great adverting for him

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's the way I understand it. It's cool to see a dealer step up and take care of a problem.

8. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

This is not necessarily true. Regardless of the title issue, there is almost always a statute of limitations for potential civil remedies. There are very few instances where there is no statute of limitations for civil cases, but every instance I can think of is where a governmental entity was a party (many states exempt themselves from any statute of limitations or repose). Of course it is all moot now anyway since the dealer did the right thing.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That's right and for the reason above, I would take this as a lesson well learned. If you ever buy a coin and you have doubts or even if you don't. If you're gonna have it graded, that should be taken care of asap. good luck on hearing something back!

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I may have this mixed up with the laws on stolen property.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It should be with every coin and not just ancients, and any dealer worth his salt should be willing to permanently stand by his wares. Of course this is easier said than done, but sometimes (if no documentation survives) it's best to make a judgement call and bite the bullet.

Draft saved Draft deleted