how to get a coin graded?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coingeek12, Feb 25, 2013.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

how do i get a coin graded without spending to much and getting it certifided?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

For a starter, I would recommend ANACS then build your way to NGC or PCGS. NGC and PCGS are premium grading companies. ANACS are reasonable price and better time manner than other two TGPs.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You're in the right place, post the pictures right here. :)

FWIW, when I need one "certified," I go through my dealer. I buy 'em, he submits 'em.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Can you post a series of photos depicting the coin here? I think everyone at CT would like to offer grade opinions based upon photos.

Depending upon the coin you describe here, you might want to give it to a dealer for submission to a TPG. I suggest this because you mention having one (1) coin for grading.

6. coingeek12

k, here we go....
    the first one.
    IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG

7. coingeek12

i'll be posten' another real soon.

8. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I give them to my dealer, who bundles them up with others and he sends them to NGC. Thats the cheapest way I know

9. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

Ah, this link will be better one to checking for authentication on errors.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Coingeek12,

I suspect that the pattern on your cent is post-mint ink. Look closely at the pattern & how it is affected by the struck devices & wear points of the coin.

You might discuss how to check if it is ink with some of the experts at CT. There may be a chemical that you could apply that would not affect the copper but would affect the ink. I don't know how Acetone or Alcohol would affect ink & I can't recommend another chemical to you in this case.

11. coingeek12

the problem is i dont have a dealer.....
    1950 D unc:
    IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4038.JPG
    1990 possible proof:
    IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4043.JPG

12. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The 1950-D cannot be a proof coin. No proof manufacturing was performed in Denver.

The two nickels appear to be nice high grade coins. However, unless you know some additional information (full steps, error, etc) then they do not need to be slabbed IMO. It costs $25 - $50 to slab a coin and I suspect that the market value of these first few coins posted will not suport the slabbing fees.

The coins are nice but not really valuable. Please handle them only by the edges & keep them in some coin holders so they do not get damaged from improper handling.

P.S. I just saw the thread describing the tiger stripe cent. I agree with RLM that the stripes are post mint damage.

14. coingeek12

oh, i meant unc. how could i get them mixed up....

15. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

16. coingeek12

read post 13.....

17. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Do not send any of those coins in. Their value will be dwarfed by what it would cost to certify the coins and you will be quite sorry you wasted the funds.

Draft saved Draft deleted