How to do a theme type collection for world coins.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sonlarson, Mar 25, 2016.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Inspired by "The Backbone of the Night", an episode of Carl Sagan's Cosmos, I assembled an array of small Greek silver and bronze, worth a day's wages from the towns and times of philosophers, from Thales of Miletos (c. 550 BCE) to Hypatia of Alexandria (c. 400 CE).

I am now working on the coins (banknotes, etc.) of Hungary.

sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I actually did this a while back. A whole lot of fun!

6 Century Birth Year Set.jpg

chrisild, spirityoda and Kentucky like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow cool how far back did you get ? 1452 wow sweet.

5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Cool! I'll have to look into that. I didn't know they had such an album. Thanks!

6. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

I have read this thread with significant interest. I collect coins based on family history (Ireland, Canada and Newfoundland), where I have lived and worked (Japan) and lastly and most recently through my pilgrimage travels (see photo) along the Camino de Santiago (France/Spain, Portugal/Spain). There is something to be said about pursuing one's genealogical history/travels and numismatic history.
    For those who took notice this weekend, the 100th anniversary of the Irish Uprising took place this weekend in Dublin. Some nice commemorative coins will be issued through the Central Bank of Ireland.

Sullykerry

spirityoda and sonlarson like this.
  7. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

sonlarson. I find your 50 centavos collection very interesting. Would you be willing to share the country list?

8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Coins with bikinis.
    mu-wTbhPm86ykttR8lPqLUA.jpg

Still looking for one with a dude in a bikini. ...Because I'm not sexist. Duh!

stevex6 and spirityoda like this.
  9. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

What I am working on now. I might have missed one or two.

Argentina, Angola, Bolivia, Brazil, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Dominica, East Timor, Ecuador, Guatemala, Galapagos Island, Guinea Bissau, Honduras, Mexico, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Philippines, Portugal, Paraguay, Peru, St. Thomas and Prince Island, Costa Rica, El Salvador

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that coin is on my "Coins with Hands" list. lol

11. MadMartigan

MadMartigan Active Member

I did the same thing but I did the Whitman one and I did it for each of my boys, its actually a pretty easy set to put together for like $200-300

12. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

thank you sonlarson.

13. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

The great thing about this hobby is the continually evolving path it leads you down. Many years ago (25+), I started with US pennies. I actually managed to complete the Lincoln penny set in VF+, buying the S VDB with part of my summer job savings in college. Next I moved to indian heads and made it half way through the tougher dates before my attention moved to foreign (non US) after a year of travel opened new interests. I focused on Russian (pre-1917) pieces for many years but the market went sky high on Russian material and I lost focus and sold it all off over a period of a couple years. I put the money into German States and Italian States pieces after admiring the varied designs in the Krause guides. I probably spent hours upon hours just flipping through the pages of my 1600-1800 Krause guide. I stumbled on a moderately priced circulated sede vacante taler from Osnabruck back in 2006 and the rest is history. The majority of my collection is now focused on sede vacante material from the German States, but I still keep an eye out for Papal State issues in the late 1600s and 1700s and miscellaneous talers from Germanys/Austria/Switzerland that catch my fancy. There are too many amazing designs out there for me to be happy focusing on one series. Through friendships on forums, I have also learned to buy, hold, enjoy, and let go. The divestiture part is still hard for me, but I have found that keeping the collection fresh with occasional new purchases greatly contributes to the hobby enjoyment. The thrill of the hunt is always there.

Draft saved Draft deleted