How to differentiate between acid damage and struck through grease?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Seattlite86, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

So I have a coin that is assuredly damaged from something, but I realized that I don’t have the best knowledge on differentiating acid damage and through grease strikes.

My assumptions are that grease would not leave layers or shelves, but instead a sort of smooth depression that increases towards the center of the grease pool.

Also, I assume that the coin struck through grease would not have significant color changes whereas acid would change the surface color where it interacted.

Lastly, the reverse of a through grease should be more sharp/detailed compared to a regular strike.

What are some other indicators between the two?

F12EEAC9-74AA-4E6F-AB79-E7CCDF4D3F15.jpeg EC0861DB-8631-47A6-89A2-371CF9624C7F.jpeg EB3C34CA-9C09-49A0-B8AF-702B1B77D175.jpeg 7A7A67E4-CD75-49D8-A0C7-8EB942961EDF.jpeg D3436781-3402-4C92-B44F-45E2B34FB2D7.jpeg 13026535-C25A-4949-9142-41BECC50D458.jpeg 51CB0A28-CA22-4A45-9A92-DC43DA8D3CA5.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I see the orange peel effect and MD, so it's just a guess that the obverse die was in a late stage of deterioration. But I would prefer to defer to @paddyman98 and @Fred Weinberg on this one.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I was thinking Die Deterioration.. But so much? Nice 1971, my Birth year :rolleyes:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I don't see it as either. "Grease" would be assumed to reduce the height of 'TR' in trust where the damage seems to pass, and acid doesn't usually cause plateaus or different depths on a coin without corroded areas. Since this was the first year with the non-silver composition, it could be associated with the mix? Jim

tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. Seattlite86

Well now I'm more confused than I was before. I wasn't settled on it being acid, but damage always makes the most sense... there's definitely a lot of die deterioration, which could explain a lot of the effects, but the off color is what has me thinking there's more to it than that. Hopefully Fred will have a chance to look at it and chime in. Thank you everyone for your input.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Curious about the flaring at the ear and extended ear lobe.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

It sure does stick out. I'll try to get better photos tomorrow. Off to bed soon!

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Alfred E Neuman variety ?

tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's stained, after it was in circulation.

Not an error, imo.

It has a typical strike for that date -
    as mentioned, worn/overused dies.

All the discoloration you see is PMD

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

Well, I always thought it was PMD. What do you think causes the steps/shelving/raised areas in there?
    I think I’ll dip it in acetone and see if the color goes away.

12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Worn die for me. I have at least one saved but I’m in Florida till April so no pic. Acetone bath can’t hurt

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted