How to determine value of a details coin?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Barber dime 94s, May 21, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

Hey folks
    Since I've been selling some of the coins I have doubles of I was wondering how would I price a details coin. I have this 1910S barber dime that's in VF30 condition . Problem is it has some nasty marks on the obverse and reverse. It's a semi key date and would bring 50-60 bucks problem free. So how would you price a coin like this ? I understand that the damage is going to cut down the value by a large amount. So what percent of problem free value would you give a coin like this??? image.jpg image.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

What problem-free grade of the same date would you find equally as desirable in your set?

4. Barber dime 94s

That's a good question, I replaced a Vg coin with this one untill something better came along. So me personally I would rather have this than a problem free VG. This coin got replaced by a lower grade yet problem free Fine+ .

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Personally, I wouldn't have bought it.

That said, for this date, acknowledging that it is a better date, I would go no more than $10

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's hard to put a value on coins like this because every coin is a different deal. Some problems kill most of the value and other problems only take away a small amount. Next you have to figure that it's worth a different amount to each person. Some would be happy with it and the next collector would never buy it at any price.
    I would just list it on ebay with an honest ad and see who wants it.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Agreed! List it as a 99c start and let it go.

Chris

8. Barber dime 94s

I had planed to do just so , list the coin and be very honest about any problems I see wrong with it. I was trying to find a starting point as to the amount to list it on eBay. Viewing past auctions it seems buyer are very lenient when buying problem coins that are better dates. As you stated I'm sure some people would never buy a problem coin,but at the same time if givin the opportunity to do so at a discounted price many would . Question is, how much to discount the price ?

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll say!

You see the same thing at shows sometimes. While dealers are pretty harsh when buying problem coins, many of them are suddenly very forgiving when it's time to set a price for selling them. I don't mind problem coins as much as many folks here, so I have one or two favorite dealers who don't try to hide problems, and sell problem coins at a price I consider a bargain. I'm pretty sure I could turn any of those problem coins around on eBay at a profit.

It depends entirely on who's looking to buy. The best advice I can offer is to put it up and let the buyers decide -- but with a straight auction, you only get a week or ten days worth of exposure to buyers, and the right buyers might not happen by during that week.

I've got a coin or two that I've thought of listing Buy It Now with Best Offer, with a high BIN price, and just letting them sit there for a month or two to attract offers. That way, I'd get more control over what price to accept, and I'd get more exposure to more buyers.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  10. Barber dime 94s

Thanks guys
    I believe I will list the coin at a buy it now price and accept any decent offer. As Jeff mentioned the chances of the right buyer coming along will be greater , longer the exposure time. I believe I will check past sales , see what problem free coin in VG are selling for , list it for a similar price .

11. ToughCOINS

What I was getting at is the following . . . If you wouldn't trade this coin for a problem-free F15, but you would trade it for a problem-free VF20 (grades selected arbitrarily for illustration purposes only), then pricing it somewhere between F15 & VF20 money is likely to work acceptably for both you and the buyer.

Just my two cents . . .

- Mike at ToughCOINS

12. Barber dime 94s

Thanks for the help.
    Seems that problem free coins in the Vg+ range are selling right at the 20 dollar range. Since I would rather have this coin than a problem free Vg+ maybe someone else would as well. So I'm going to list it for 20 , offer free shipping and accept any respectable offer.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  13. ToughCOINS

Glad to be of service

14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Best quote I've heard is: "Rarity trumps condition every time" worst part about being a geezer is I don't remember where I heard it....

Draft saved Draft deleted