How to determine if your coin is worth Grading?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ThatGuyTony, Apr 4, 2018.

1. ThatGuyTony

ThatGuyTony Member

For ex. My toned dime is it worth grading? How much is it worth...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

when the cost are higher than the value of the coin. I would not slab a coin unless it was at least $100+ in value.

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  4. ThatGuyTony

ThatGuyTony Member

How much is my dime worth?

5. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I see a minor scratch running from Roosevelt's temple to the back of his head thru his hair. I wouldn't send it to be graded.

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  6. ThatGuyTony

ThatGuyTony Member

Do you know an estimate price before I sale it on eBay

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty coin. Tough to put a price on something like this. You never know how many folks are going to bid. All you can do is show good images and hope a few bidders fight over it.

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  8. ThatGuyTony

ThatGuyTony Member

Yeah man, I have no idea on toned coin prices

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It seems that price is all you care about. If that is the case, just go ahead and list it on FleaBay. I'm sure someone will buy it.

Chris

10. STU

STU Active Member

I don't like those coins as its not a good looking tone but if you are selling it just put it up and get what you can if that,s what you want as far as grading let the bidders do it not worth sending in

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Best way to find what a coin is worth is to try to sell it on EBay and see what it sells for.

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

there was a recent member here that show cased his whole registered toned Roosevelt dime collection. he can tell you what it might be worth.

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@MercuryBen. can you tell him what his dime is worth ?

MercuryBen and ThatGuyTony like this.
  14. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Tony, as many have suggested, it's hard to put an exact value on such a coin, since there are many factors involved. But I think you will find this coin is worth a very modest amount. Consider that:

(1) 34.8 million were minted
    (2) the Red Book lists an MS-65 as < $20 (yours is not close)
    (3) just look at what has sold on ebay

So the only thing left is what premium might the toning bring, and that's very subjective. To me, it would mean nothing, but to a toner collector, on a good day, & the right person might pay $30??? Don't know!

Would you be willing to pay $30+ to slab a coin worth only $30 on a good day? Probably not!

STU likes this.
  15. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Here it is on eBay > $20.00 + 2.65 - seems that the OP is looking to slab and flip - slabbed 1947S rainbow toned dimes sell for right around that same price - save your money, you won't recover the cost of grading & slabbing ;)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-S-GOR...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

16. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell from pictures, but I would guess thecoin would be graded by PCGS at AU58 or Genuine - AT. There is clearly some light wear on the coin, most visible on the reverse, as well as quite a bite of chatter. It might have been lightly polished. The color looks natural to me, but again, hard to tell from the pictures. You might find a buyer for $5 to $10 who is just looking for a cool looking example to fill an album hole. Certainly not worth submitting to PCGS (and this is coming from someone who submits lots of low-value toners to PCGS).

PlanoSteve likes this.
  17. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

Really surprised this went for $20 on EBay. But it only takes two interested and uninformed bidders to get the price up.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  18. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

start the bidding at .99 with FREE SHIPPING and it will sell for within ten percent of retail value. If it draws no bids you don't get charged a selling fee.

19. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I am slabbing my blanks and planchets even though the cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters are only worth a few dollars. (My best one for each type.) Why am I doing this when NGC charges $31 a piece for mint errors???

Because I want my collection to be as uniform as possible, and they look nice in the new slabs that now show the rims. It isn't always about cost or value. They also display nicer! :)

baseball21 likes this.
  20. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

OK, that's a good & very personal reason.

However, many (including newbies) have the intention of selling (read: profiting) from coins & they need to know that if they have a $30 coin & then slab it, they're only going to get $30 for it, not $60. I think that's what they really want to know.

I your case that's not the issue & I like your reasoning! :happy:

JCro57 likes this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Join the club.

Draft saved Draft deleted