How to Crop an Internal Area in Photoscape?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Publius2, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

In a recent post by @TypeCoin971793, he posted photos of a 1794 cent's edge lettering using the flashlight reflector technique. Works well but the edge lettering is reversed. If you mirror the entire image, the edge lettering is correct but now the obverse is reversed.

If, however, the obverse part of the image can be cropped, leaving only the edge, then the remaining edge image can be mirrored. I have tried everything I know in Photoscape and tried the online help files but cannot figure out how to perform this internal crop.

I've seen this done using Adobe Photoshop but I don't want to buy or learn that program

Does anyone have a tip for Photoscape?

I haven't tried but I guess if the reverse was shot in the reflector, the edge lettering would be in the correct orientation? Makes my head hurt thinking about it. But, the problem of trying to isolate only the edge image would remain.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

One workaround is you can click Insert, then select the filled circle, fill with white or whatever color you like, merge with original image, then reverse that. Not 100% certain what your end-goal is but figured I’d throw it out there.

FDFF0DBE-AE92-4ADC-B7BD-65CA4DFDD164.jpeg D4896204-6438-45E8-A23E-B94D3BCBB793.jpeg

4. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home. Right now I'm looking out over a golf course at the Atlantic from a 7th floor 3 bedroom, 3 bath condo in Florida. Golf and adult bevs for the next few.

Razz and CircCam like this.
  5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

To heck with Photoscape! Haha. Enjoy!

Draft saved Draft deleted