How to buy ancient coins.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by E Pluribus Unum, Apr 13, 2019.

1. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

I am interested in collecting ancient coins. I was browsing eBay and, to my surprise, found that many ancient coins cost very little (circa $10). Are these replicas? How do I know if an ancient coin is authentic? I have a hard time believing that 2000 years old coins can be bought for such a low price.

ominus1 and 7Calbrey like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

To answer your specific question but NOT to discourage you from reading the links given above: Yes there are replicas an fakes sold on eBay but there are also thousands of genuine coins that are not worth much mostly due to their poor condition. Specialized dealers often have an aversion to these simply because the is not much profit in $10 coins. A good place to get beginner level material is from other beginners who have outgrown them or from amateur dealers that are not trying to feed a family on such items but sell at club meetings or local coin shows. It depends where you live. Near me in Virginia, there will be a show in a coupe weeks but you will have to check listings to see if there is something near you. We have a couple Coin Talk regulars who sell coins by private correspondence but again that might not be practical if you live in Europe (there is a reason not to leave some registration information blank but I am NOT suggesting you give you full address or tell everything that violates privacy).

Your first job is to figure out what you want. In very cheap coins, you will be limited to late Roman or Greek small bronzes. You will not be buying large silver. I suggest participating in discussions here asking questions. You can contact members by Private Conversations here when you figure out who might be of help for your situation. Most of us started off buying things we now wish we had not (paid too much for junk, etc., so becoming active here might allow you to avoid some of the easy mistakes or not feel bad when you make them. Start now by reading the thread offered by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix.

Nathan B., Sardar, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...yeah, most all of us went thru that, but its true and that's the magic..and now you have begun your journey into the realm of history and it's coins and artifacts...(lucky you!) :)..O, and buy the way...get'em and post'em here..our crew here will let you know the verdict.. check the selllers ID to see if they've changed names and how many times.. bad sign... and they should offer to take returns..look at comparable coins to get a feel of the market....and peeps who sell that are members of cointalk..:)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    TIF likes this.
  6. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@E Pluribus Unum and others who might be beginning like me: I want to recommend you check out fellow CT members John Anthony and Ken Dorney (just as a start). John is again holding weekly auctions and Ken's can be found on ebay. Just PM them for information. I have tremendous confidence in what they sell.

Steve

ominus1 likes this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

US classic coins are egregiously overpriced.

Ancient Rome in particular had a fully monetized economy, encompassed most of the Mediterranean, and controlled every gold and silver mine worth having between Spain and the Middle East. With a population of several million people and up to two dozen high efficiency mints, there are millions of Roman coins in the market, and millions more left in the ground, waiting to be found.

Most people don't collect ancient coins because they either have no interest, can't be bothered to do the level of research and study required to fully appreciate the hobby, or like you, assume it to be too good to be true. The market is not large, and the pool of dedicated collectors is smaller still - there is pretty considerable overlap in the members on any given forum.

If you want to collect ancient coins, ebay is perfectly fine, as long as you don't spend any more than you would be comfortable losing in a scratch-off at first. Never buy from any seller in Cyprus or Bulgaria, and never buy from a seller with complaints of fakes. Most start with the dynasty of Constantine the Great, because his coins are easy to undersand, easy to find, and affordable. Just be sure to do your research and don't get in over your head - if it seems too good to be true, it likely is.

We are always happy to offer our advice!

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Welcome to the world of ancients! I have been collecting on and off for 30 years (started when I was 11) and it truly is a rewarding hobby. There are also in addition to John Anthony and Ken Dorney a number of reliable sellers outside of Ebay - Vcoins, M-A Shops. Forum Ancient Coins, to name a few. I have bought from all of these outlets in various price ranges. You can pick up perfectly good Constantinian/late Roman bronzes for about $30 a piece (sometimes less) in collectible condition, so it is a great way to start out.

Finn235 likes this.
  9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I started that FAQ page, so obviously I’m a big fan of it. I think you will enjoy working through those links.

But here is one from Valentinian that is right on point for your query.

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/intro2.html

Alegandron and Stevearino like this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

And Chinese cash!!!

These cost me around 50¢ each, and they are all authentic, 2000-year-old coins.

06DD02E2-8948-4211-B931-C630DA0A2F43.jpeg

11. avantika123

avantika123 New Member

The value of ancient coins depends on their condition and rarity. If the coin is not rare or is in poor condition, their market value can be very less. However, it is important to buy ancient coins from authentic websites so that you are absolutely sure that they are not fake. You should also take a second opinion from experts before you order any ancient coin online. It is best if you can buy them from popular auction sites. Here’s a link for your reference.
    [Spam link removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019
    Alegandron and Stevearino like this.
  12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Good post, IMHO, @avantika123. I didn't recognize you and saw that you've been around for several years but only posted a couple of times. You have a lot to offer. Come around more often :) .

Steve

13. VirginiaMan

VirginiaMan Member

Welcome and climb aboard for a fulfilling and rewarding ride into the world of ancient coins......you'll be well pleased! Getting started? Get your reading glasses out and feed; feed; feed your mind. I can not overstate the importance of reading books. I invested $100's of dollars and spent 4 months reading/taking notes BEFORE I ever bought my first ancient coin. Again, welcome...It can be an E-Ticket Ride (sorry, old Disneyland visitor) for your lifetime. "ALL ABOARD!!!!!!"

Stevearino likes this.
  14. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Interesting thread, thanks.

15. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Even in the age of the internet, this is sage advice. Spink/Seaby books are a good place to start. I bought my first ancient coin from a reputable dealer in 1978 who also sold books. I also bought the book on the general series for not much less $ than the coin. I still have the coin and continue to reference the book.
    Steve Brinkman

Stevearino, red_spork and Alegandron like this.
  16. avantika123

avantika123 New Member

Sure @Stevearino, I like going through these discussions, helps collectors in a big way. Cheers!

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted