How old is this NGC slab?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dug13, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

7AF177D4-3FB8-4575-BD29-EAA3784CE63A.png I ran across this at an upcoming auction. It’s the first time I’ve seen a coin simply listed as AU. (other than a details coin). Is this an early version of Details Grade? These might be common, just the first I’ve seen. I checked NGC site, but did not find the era in which it was slabbed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Conder101 would know, but I believe the pronged holder was introduced somewhere around 2008.

Chris

4. robec

robec Junior Member

It's not real old since it is a pronged slab. It's probably from a bulk submission.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Not very old, but it is unusual. I've seen several like this. No idea why the person sending it in wanted them like this instead of an actual grade.

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Most like these are some sort of bulk orders from dealers. It probably costs very little (maybe as low as a few dollars each) and is worth it for them to guarantee the coin is genuine for buyers.

PlanoSteve and jwitten like this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

were they just submitting for authenticity and not a grade ?

PlanoSteve likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Some of the bulk submissions allow the person to select a minimum grade (say AU 58) and everything lower than that would just go into a genuine holder (like the one pictured in the first post).

paddyman98, PlanoSteve and Clawcoins like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted