How much would you value this Shekel of Tyre at?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jwitten, Jun 16, 2016.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I was a big bidder on this coin (did not win, was runner up). I loved the look. I love the coin. I love the fact that it is old anacs photo grade. I really wanted it, but was the second to highest bidder. I see these going from $500 in lower greades to some over $3k. What would you say is a fair price for this one? I want to know if I bid too high to begin with, or should have gone higher. I am sure you can look up the price, but before you do, let me know what you would price it at.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mikey Zee and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I wonder too...probably too rich for my blood.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks like a lovely coin. They never seem to be cheap. I wouldn't doubt it's worth $2000+, even with the reverse being a bit off center.

jwitten likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Buying from a respected auction firm? I would say $850 would be a "market" price. Me buying from a local dealer? I would offer him $500-550 and think I was fair. I am cheap and not "needing" one of these.

Eric Kondratieff likes this.
  6. jwitten

That is a little low of what I would think, and what it went for.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The prices for these things are all over the board. I would guess $1200-1500?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. I set my alarm for 00:00 MST last night to bid on this. It was $606 when I set my alarm in the evening... $1500 when I opened it at midnight. Ha. I was willing to bid $800 on it. The toning is lovely, but I didn't like the lightly struck obv and off center struck rev.

That is the ultimate slab, though; isn't it?

Mikey Zee and jwitten like this.
  9. jwitten

I was the first bidder at about $575, just to watch it. The winner bid next, and was the $606. We had a bidding war. I tapped out around $1,700, which I thought was too much, but I REALLY wanted it.

Ancientnoob and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. I don't know enough about control/mint marks on these specific coins to know what's rare, but I've seen comparable coins, sans cabinet toning, go for 2k. I wouldnt have called that crazy. If I hadn't gone crazy in this last CNG, I would have bid $1000+

jwitten likes this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would know exactly how much I would spend on a coin to start with. I would only going crazy if I knew that coin was not going to be on the market again in a long long time. I do not know the prices of ancient coins.

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I would have bid $1200 , but I need an owl coin first .

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

$1300

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

They are common, especially the Tyre mint examples. I have seen group lots of 15-20 pieces at major coin shows before. The major demand for them is the biblical reference. As an ancient silver piece, they are more common than 80% of the coins out there.

I own an example. Not as nice as this, but nice looking and I got it for around $300 8 years ago.

To me, this coin might be more of a poster child of modern collectors overpaying for slabbed ancient coins than even Athenian tets are, (another very common coin only expensive due to enormous demand due to the city).

Then again, maybe I am just cheap.

Eric Kondratieff likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

16. jwitten

Does that site show WHEN they sold? I did not see it. Edit- I looked at the e-auctions, just not the coin shop ones, and almost all sell for over the estimate. Most are around $1,000, but some nicer ones go up from there

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

jwitten, => as you already stated, it indicates which auction the coins were sold, so then you'd have to go-back and find the auction-dates to determine the calendar date ...

oh, and yes => the auction hammer-price is almost always 2 or 3 times higher than their initial estimate (that's auction fever, my coin friend)

:woot:

Hopefully that link helped you out? (I find CNG a pretty useful database) ... their coins usually sell on the high-side, compared to ebay prices, but overall the database is pretty useful for finding a price estimate

cheers

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Andres2 and jwitten like this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Remember also that most sale 'estimates' also set the minimum acceptable starting point for that lot (60-80% for most sales). Estimating low and selling high makes happy consignors but estimating high and receiving no bids makes no one happy. Some of us bid on several lots below estimate and win once in a while. I won one coin in the most recent CNG sale that was only of interest 'at my price'. I lost several others someone wanted more. We play it by different rules when the coin is really wanted. That is when you bid three times estimate and find out several other Big Dogs bid six times. A successful sale sells almost all coins offered. The best coins could have been sold in several ways without bothering with a catalog.

19. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I went after one in slightly lower grade (Jerusalem mint, time of Christ) and bailed out once the bid went to $1,200.00 ----and it later sold for $1,500.00

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Shame you didn't win the coin, but its still better to tap out then get knocked out.
    but to assign a value on such a coin, I would have to employ ancient knowledge and wisdom and quote Publilius Syrus (1 cent BC) brought to Italy from Syria a slave and through wit he was freed and educated. "It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it".

jwitten and Mikey Zee like this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Darn! I was trying to bait @rzage into a higher bid...

Personally, I feel they are WAY overpriced for my collecting wants. Too many other areas of cool history that I will bid on...

TIF, rzage, Eric Kondratieff and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted