How much would you pay for these flying eagle cents? (Seller's pics)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, May 18, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Thanks, Frank. I plan to photograph the flying eagle cents before Verdi-Care treatment and after. I'm hoping to send in several of them for grading, but I don't know what they'll look like at this point. All I know is... $5.55 per flying eagle cent is a steal! And all those indian cents for just over a buck a piece? No brainer with that 08-S in the lot, even if it is a G-VG.

McBlzr likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@Treashunt, Pics before they've been treated. Nothing but good news, there were FIVE 1908-S Indian Cents in that lot of 22 Indians. And there may be 4 gradeable Flying Eagle Cents... if acetone and Verdi-Care can make a difference. The 4th one down is the 1858 Small letters High Leaves variety, FS-1901, which is pretty valuable. Two of the f.e. cents have been cleaned in my opinion. Only the bottom 2 1908-S Indian Cents will grade, I think, if I treat them properly. But really, who cares... I paid $73.90 for the lot, (including other Indian cents not pictured).
    DSCN3670-horz.jpg DSCN3672-horz.jpg DSCN3674-horz.jpg DSCN3676-horz.jpg DSCN3678-horz.jpg DSCN3680-horz.jpg DSCN3682-horz.jpg DSCN3684-horz.jpg DSCN3686-horz.jpg DSCN3688-vert.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Michael K, BigTee44, green18 and 7 others like this.
  4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Holy crap! All but one of the FEs has XF or higher details. You did well!

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The one that breaks my heart is the one with the worst reverse corrosion near the rims and it has some obverse scratching. It's an UNC.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@BadThad - can acetone be used before or after Verdi-Care on these? Probably won't receive the Verdi-Care in the mail until Wednesday next week. Wanted to go ahead and start an acetone soak, but thought I better ask first.

7. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

As Tony the Tiger would say................... There Greeeeeeaaaat ! :woot:

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

amazing!

congrats!

C-B-D likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great buy.

C-B-D likes this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Wow...

I need to troll the IHC/FE side of eBay more often.

C-B-D likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This.

12. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

What he said!

13. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Awesome job! Totally jealous but glad you got it ;)

C-B-D likes this.
  14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

You can use it before and after but, based on the coins, I'd probably leave VC on and let them dry well.

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Acetone treated. Soaked for 18 hours then very lightly used a Q-tip to get the tough areas. My lighting was a little different this time around, which makes it look like they're too bright. But I swear I didn't scrub them or clean them in any other way... that green gunk mostly just melted away in acetone.

DSCN3670-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3672-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3674-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3676-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3678-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3680-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3682-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3684-horz-horz.jpg DSCN3686-horz-horz.jpg

Michael K and rooman9 like this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Incredible results!

C-B-D likes this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The reverse of the 2nd one... I'm blown away at how easily all that green gunk came off.

18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I bought a bunch of silver a year and a half ago with the same gunk. A bunch of trimes seated coins and some foreign. It melted in acetone too

C-B-D likes this.
  19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Interesting, most likely the start of PVC plasticizer induced corrosion. It's a good thing you caught it.

C-B-D likes this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

So... uh... NGC graded the worst rim corrosion one, coin #6, MS62. I was hoping for an UNC Details.

WHAT?!? Is this real life???

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    green18 likes this.
  21. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

What did the others grade?

Draft saved Draft deleted