how much would this cost me ( ancient coins)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by enochian, May 3, 2013.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

most of my coins are in 2x2s in pages that hold 20 2x2s .in a binder that zips up

i have one extra page right now with nothing in it
    i would like to have atleast one full page of random ancients to begin with.

i currently have three (the third one i just remembered i have. its in a glass like picture frame with felt on the inside its here some where im going to go find it now ) so i need at least 17 more. common ones would be best for now. i dont need them in high grades id just like to be able to see the designs on them. i want atleast one from Egypt and a couple more silver (would love a gold one but thats not going to happen anytime soon. i have no gold on anything)

so i can write on the 2x2s what year and where they came from.

how much would this cost me to do?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think I understand what you are wanting. However, let me say you should look for coins in grades at least of a quality where they can be fully identified. As for price, the last two Tets I posted in the Egyptian thread cost me in the vicinity of $25-40 each. Some of the others cost less. The Sep Severus Denarius was only about $20.

For Late Roman Bronze coins (LRB), you can look to get full identifiable coins in the $10-20 range. Roman Republic coins are rather expensive, but you might find some for under $75

4. enochian

enochian silver eater

im looking in less then $10 a piece range for now

id rather spend more money on my us coins or foreign silver collection.

i do believe the more i get the more ill be hooked into buying better ones eventual.

i love any thing with age books coins jewly boxes ect if it old i like it and how old ancients are they will be my oldest things

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You can in fact get decent coins in the $10 range, but they will only be decent if you appreciate them personally for the physical link they provide to ancient history. If you're looking merely for eye-candy, you will be severely disappointed with $10 coins.

First off, you can go to vcoins and do a search for items that cost $10, and you can search eBay for low opening bid auctions with no reserve. Those are the two places I've had the most luck with acquiring inexpensive coins that stimulate my imagination, but my purchases are generally in the $20 range.

6. enochian

enochian silver eater

im no way init for the eyecandy i love history its my best subject other then science

7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would say get a mixed lot of late roman bronzes in nice shape. In a group lot you should be able to get them for around $10 for nicer ones. Take pics and have yoru friends here help identify them for you.

For $10 a coin, silver is extremely difficult nowadays.

8. enochian

enochian silver eater

well i have 1 silver ottoman but know one could tell me a date

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I thought you wanted ancients though? By all accounts ancients end around 500-600ad with the possible exception of Byzantine coins. Ottomans are at best medieval coins.

If you open it up to medieval, you can get a Madonna and child Hungarian silver possibly for $10, or a few other pieces.

The cheapest silver ancients are probably Gordian III coins. Maybe on Ebay a F might go for $10 or so, since these frequently come much higher grades. I have bought more than I should in VF-XF for around $20, but that was a few years ago.

10. enochian

enochian silver eater

which is why i wanted a date on it did not know it wasent realy ancient iv got a lot to learn

11. enochian

enochian silver eater

if any one is willing to donate to this quest let me know i may also be willing to trade but not sure what people would offer

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

The fun/cool part is you yourself cruisin' around on "vcoins" and finding a few coins in your price-range and "then" you should post a few and ask us which one "we" like best ... that would be fun for us and valuable for you (for I wasted a bit of my early coin money buying coins without input from the coin-gurus) ...

=> NOTE => I am hoping that there is an unwritten-law between the ancient dudes that we are "not" going to steal another dude's coin

=> if somebody posted and gloated a coin that another member had been talkin' about, I would "boo and shun" that sniper!!

enochian => why don't you go scout-around on vcoins and find two or three winners and then post them and ask for our opinions? (sound like a plan?)

13. enochian

enochian silver eater

ill have to wait intill i find a job again but that ideal sounds good.

but if i did that i would already know what the ancient is and not have a surprise when it comes

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Con Comm a.jpg Con Comm b.jpg

Here is your assignment ... I bought this coin for $46 (delivered, from Spain to Canada, from "indalocolecciones")

=> everybody loves this Commemorative Variety (well, most people) ...

Your Assignment => go find a pretty version for the same or "way less than stevex6 pays" (according to Bing and dougsmit, that should be very easy!!)

;)

good luck and God-speed ... quick, like a bunny!!

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

[TABLE="width: 198"]

[TD="class: xl24, width: 264, bgcolor: transparent"]sorry => this is a Constantinopolis Commemorative ... AE19mm ... [TABLE="width: 198"]

[TD="class: xl24, width: 264, bgcolor: transparent"]Constantinopolis & Victory[/TD]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

16. enochian

enochian silver eater

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Constantine...645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e1d5ca5

not the same one but best looking and cheepest i could find

this one has no back picture

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Constantine...050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccfb7c922

best one $45 but not sure of shipping

http://www.vcoins.com/fr/stores/edg...s_helmeted_bust_left_in_i/206431/Default.aspx
    [h=2]CITY OF CONSTANTINOPLE COMMEMORATIVE, 334-335 A.D. Bronze AE3, RIC VII 241, EF. mint, 18 mm. Obverse: CONSTANTINOPOLIS; Personification of Constantinople's helmeted bust left[/h]
    yours is great for the price you paid i can not find a deal like that i think this was a trick question lol

17. enochian

enochian silver eater

sorry it took a wile i had to kill a wasp nest

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The first cost me $20 and the second cost $23
    Constantinopolis4 OBV.jpg Constantinopolis4 REV.jpg
    Constantinopolis5 OBV.jpg Constantinopolis5 REV.jpg

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice ... that was awesome!! (full points!!)

=> now ask that last guy for 75-80% of his asking price and you might be in the ball-park (well done)

:high5:

... now wasn't that fun, eh?!!

20. enochian

enochian silver eater

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

NOTE => I am a fly fisherman myself => I hang-out during the day and take-home the biggest fish that I catch (quick and easy, instant gratification!!)

However => some/most of the ancient dudes here are more "fish-farmers" => they seem to be able to wait for months upon months until a fish finally grows to maturity and/or until a big random fish happens to swim into the net!!

... in other words, most of the ancient collectors wouldn't buy "today's" greatest coin => they would probably wait in the wings until a big fish swam-by and then "ziiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg" they'de grab their rods and then they'd start reellin' it in!!

=> either way => I find it very cool fishin' for ancients!! (there are definitely some master-anglers out there!!)

=> good luck, dawg!!

Draft saved Draft deleted