How much weight is loss due to the missing reed on the Eagles?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Asher, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Asher

Asher Active Member

US mint states both types weight 31.103g. Is the missing reed under 0.0001g? Is the weight difference within the tolerance? Iw the missing weight added somewhere else?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

Never thought about that, interesting, but I'm sure it's negligible, probably still weighs 31g. Anyone have one to weigh?

4. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

I would assume that there is no loss of silver. It’s not like someone is manually taking the reed off each coin by hand, lol.

13C9FA08-2458-4BE8-A539-299A7EC2DE6E.jpeg

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Thh he e teed might be missing but the metal is not.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

About as much as is lost if you mash one of the reeds with a dull knife. In other words, none -- it just gets redistributed to the rest of the coin.

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I just weighed a Ty 1 & TY 2 2021 SE. I'm not sure what it proves other than I have an inexpensive scale.o_O 2021 ASE on scale A.jpg

capthank and yakpoo like this.
  9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

A planchet is a planchet...regardless of what shape it's squeezed into. Any difference in weight would be in the planchet itself...before it was struck.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

0.11 of a gram is nothing and not surprising that a planchet might've been slightly off. That's 1.6 grains.

dwhiz likes this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

A win win, the weight is good.

dwhiz likes this.
  12. Asher

Asher Active Member

Yup yup...makes sense so the "missing" silver reed just flowed into the minted coin elsewhere. Small enough to make no visual difference.

yakpoo likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The weight is set by the weight of the blank. The shape of the collar, which is what creates the "missing reed", doesn't change the weight.

dwhiz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted