How much was a gold $20 Double Eagle worth in the late 1800s?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know how much underweight they had to be in order to be worth less than face?

Did it have to be deliberate content removal or was being highly circulated and subject to normal wear and tear enough to warrant less than face?

Sorry for the constant questions I’m just trying to learn. My expertise lies more in Ancient Greece and Rome and so my 19th century American history is pretty basic.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

I guess that explains why most $2.50 gold quarter eagles I’ve seen have been in MS condition or high AU at worse.

If I recall correctly I believe I read something about people being concerned about germs being accumulated in the coin due to the design being indented.

Perhaps that explains lack of circulation?

4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is an example of a pre-Civil War broken bank note. This Milford, Delaware bank went broke and its money became worthless. This is an example of why people would rather have a gold dollar than one of these notes.

Milford 1 dol Note.jpg

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  5. Gam3rBlake

Very interesting stuff!

So I’m guessing people could even turn in gold bars/ingots/rounds and have it converted into gold & silver coinage as well?

Like if I walked into an English bank with 2oz of gold they would provide me with 2oz of gold value in gold sovereigns minus the minting fee?

6. johnmilton

Anything that was under the legal standard could bring rejection or discounts, regardless of how it happened.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Most people didn't even know what germs were back then.

8. Gam3rBlake

It’s a beautiful note!

Ironically that note now is probably far above face value so in the end it has value at least.

9. GDJMSP

Yes. You can still do the exact same thing at the US mint even today.

Again, for centuries the primary source for gold and silver for all the world's mints was the general population. People would bring gold or silver items to the the mint and the mint would melt it down and produce gold and silver coins for that person.

serafino likes this.
  10. Gam3rBlake

This is where I read it. It’s a Wikipedia page. C0AB0C35-051F-4A29-B7B0-4D497449BB32.jpeg

11. Gam3rBlake

That is so cool!

What do you mean you can do that at the US Mint today?

I don’t think they would take my 10 oz silver bar and make me 10 ASEs.

12. johnmilton

That was a falsehood that was spread around when the $2.50 and $5 Indian coins were introduced that had the incuse designs. The thought was that dirt and germs would accumulate in the below the surface design and spread disease. It was all nonsense, but I believe I have an article that was re-printed from The Numismatist that raised the issue.

Attached Files:

13. johnmilton

I don't think that the mint would do that today, but I have heard stories that guy with connections supplied silver to the mint which the facility used to strike some mint medals in silver instead of bronze. This was in the 1950s.

14. Gam3rBlake

I’ve got one myself .

Not a rare date or anything. A very common date in fact.

But no dirt or germs!

Well maybe some germs.

I understand why people didn’t use them though. They’re tiny! C496A7B6-7879-42E2-8745-2E957DC24642.jpeg
    56EA6B91-61F0-4AD4-BE7D-AF04C9F484EE.jpeg

15. johnmilton

Not that tiny. The $2.50 was the same size as a dime.

In the early days of the mint, the same reverse dies were used to strike dimes and $2.50 gold coins.

16. GDJMSP

Yes, they will. The laws are still on the books and the mint will still do it. You can take them gold or silver, they will assay it, and give you gold and silver coins, or paper currency or even a check if you wish. Minus minting costs of course.

17. Gam3rBlake

I bet they have a HUGE minimum supply requirement though. I’ve read that the (LBMA) London Bullion Market Association sets the standards for international “Good Delivery” bars used by nations and very large dealers such as the bullion at Fort Knox.

A silver “Good Delivery” bar must be .999 fine and 1000+ troy oz.

My guess is to do business with the US Mint a company would probably be required to provide tens of thousands of Good Delivery Bars per year.

Heck just to buy Monster Boxes from the US Mint a company is required to buy like $5 million worth.

18. Gam3rBlake

You’re right! I compared it to a dime when I first got it and they were almost identical!

However it does seem like it could get lost easily. Especially in the rough & rowdy West.

If someone loses a dime today it’s not really a big deal but $2.50 would be enough for a fun a night on the town.
    Beers for $0.10 with Free buffets. $0.25 to go to the local fair/carnival. $1/night for decent boarding. $0.50 for a good dinner. The good old days.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  19. GDJMSP

Yeah that's all true if you're company. But US citizens can are still allowed by law to deposit gold and silver with the US mint and receive coins in turn.

20. Gam3rBlake

Are you sure? I believe that ended with Nixon when he ended the gold standard.

However I did read that he had plans on returning to it but never managed to do so.

21. GDJMSP

You seem to like looking things up - so go look it up. :) It really isn't that hard to find. As a matter fact, I'm reasonable certain that you can find where the US Code allowing this is cited right here on this forum. But it has been a while since it was done the last time.

Draft saved Draft deleted