How much of a coin must remain for NGC to grade it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Coins used to be clipped all the time in the old days. How much of a coin must remain for the TPGs to still consider it a coin?

Spanish Milled Dollars also used to be cut up into “bits” for smaller transactions and the TPGs will slab them as bits.

If a Morgan Dollar is cut in half will they still grade it as a Morgan Dollar and just put “clipped”/“damaged”/“cut in half”?

Is their a specification for how much of a coin must remain for a TPG to slab it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I was told there would be no math! Joking aside, interesting question, I hope some of our knowledgeable members will weigh in.

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I don't know of any specifications, seems like the trend has been that if people are paying their grading fees, they will slab it and stick some kind of descriptor on the label. Even if just "genuine".

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Good question . I'm guessing it matters the denomination of the coin or the Type it is .

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  6. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Half-coins have been graded. Broken half coins with both pieces have been graded. Trade Dollars with some pretty nice geometric shapes missing have been graded. 30% clips have been graded.

Who knows what the limit is? If there is a market, it will be graded by a TPG somewhere.

MIGuy, Cheech9712 and Gam3rBlake like this.
  7. Gam3rBlake

I’ve seen half coins graded when I was at Nevada Coin but the coin they had was cut up at the Mint so it counted as an “error”.

OldSilverDollar and charley like this.
  8. charley

I accidently cut a valuable book in 2 pieces, where the book was produced and packaged for shipping. I informed the supervisor. It sold. It must have counted as something. An error is an error. Midnight tinkering experiment, on the other hand.....(oh, I just accidently put it in my pocket and went home and it was an error that I didn't report it to the supervisor so it could be returned to the destroy bin).

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I would think that if the TPG could easily tell it was actually cut in half, they would body bag it. If you paid for attribution they may slab and label it as "damaged, cut in half." Just a guess.

OldSilverDollar and charley like this.
  10. charley

How a Grader would determine easily, is the mystery. With the myriad of methods to precisely cut metal, that is a tough easy.
    Could a piece have been quenched to early or incorrectly after being exposed to furnace temperature heats, and dropped on a floor and it boke? I guess. Half is better than nothing, for sure.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Enough to identify it and know its genuine. Thats the most basic level and if the answer to either of those is no then theres no shot

12. Gam3rBlake

But I’m sure someone could identify some of these based on the text so would they count and get slabbed?

ABB53293-0DA9-42EE-B167-8A693D35AA94.jpeg

charley and OldSilverDollar like this.
  13. Gam3rBlake

This is the one NNC has. XD

BEA54081-3513-4A5B-B63A-F90DF815989C.jpeg

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

That is very, very cool and for someone to have both halves is great.

MIGuy and OldSilverDollar like this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I think the coin is dead

love old coins likes this.
  16. Gam3rBlake

& its an 1884 CC!

Way cooler than if it was like a 1921 P.

17. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

Definitely a candidate for a gold CAC sticker!;)

18. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Also depends on who cuts it

upload_2021-6-19_21-36-25.jpeg

upload_2021-6-19_21-36-45.jpeg

Gam3rBlake, MIGuy and OldSilverDollar like this.
  19. Gam3rBlake

Meh I don’t think NGC could tell.

If I had one of those coins whole I could cut it like that and it would be impossible to tell the difference.

20. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I'm a surgeon, Jim, not a coin doctor!!!

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

If it was cut in the use of commerce when it was I circulation is different than if it was cut today

a fresh cut would be obvious as there would be no patina.

Draft saved Draft deleted