How much more do proof coins worth than their normal versions?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ibuycoinsoffebay, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Same year same mint mark same condition what percantage is it worth more

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Whatever extra someone will pay. Often worth less, so I guess the answer is somewhere between 50% and 1000%.

Old Coin Dawg likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Frequently NOT worth more. Proofs aren't "better", they're just "different".

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The difference comes with how old the proof is, demand is also a factor.

Curtisimo and Dough like this.
  6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Your assumption that proofs are worth more than business strikes of the same coin is incorrect. There is no general correlation that can be made between value as you are attempting to do. They are different coins, and so their values are independently based on supply and demand.

Two Dogs and Santinidollar like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you really think that a PF69 would be worth more than an MS69 business strike?

Chris

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In the case of a lot of older coins (19th century) the MS coins are worth more than the proof coins.

wxcoin, Santinidollar and Kirkuleez like this.
  9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

depends who you sell it to, type of coins, condition comparison, etc.

For instance, on a silver ASE regular and proof versions, if you sell it to a dealer they'll try to get, say, spot price for that regular strike and the proof strike. If you sell to a private buyer, you should hopefully get more for that proof.

10. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

Not all that more on the modern stuff.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There can be a massive difference on the modern stuff. If you're thinking of ASEs its about the same, but for circulating coins it's a different story. Kennedys for instance for the clad ones are 4 figure coins and some are five figures in MS 68 excluding the Satins. An 80-D MS 68 sold for 5k as one example and it was only two years ago. The majority of dates don't have a 69 and they would be big money coins with the first.

12. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Agreed, not a hard and fast rule, I was more referring to not only ASE's but commemoratives also and anything you get direct from the mint these days does have a more narrow range and is skewed to the upper grades. Your point is well taken. Then again, grading bullion is, well.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Really all the silver and gold there's usually not much if any difference between the two versions as a 69. UI have nothing against ASE grading, people enjoy and it gets them excited so to me that's a good thing. ASEs are really the modern Morgans. Will be interesting to see what difference there may be with the palladium next year though

14. cpm9ball

When was the last time that the Mint issued an SAE business strike or a commemorative business strike?

Chris

15. cpm9ball

I would routinely sell 2000-2008 P or D Sacagawea dollars graded MS68 for $150.

Chris

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sometimes, stress sometimes, when people ask a question like that asked by the OP what they are talking about is the difference in price when the items are being sold by the mint. As a general rule, Proofs cost more than the corresponding business strike issue when you buy from the mint. So what people are asking is - is it worth it to pay that extra price ?

They ask questions like this because they quite simply don't know, they don't understand the difference between Proofs and business strikes. What they are often thinking is they want to buy the coin, but they want to know which one is going to be worth more money in the years to come.

For the most part all the responses made in this thread are accurate, but they don't really help a beginner very much because beginners don't understand just how complicated what they are asking really is. They don't understand that there are huge differences depending on exactly what you are talking about, old coins vs new coins, Proof vs business strike, the way the coin market works, mintage numbers, etc etc etc etc.

For example, the OP asked -

I suspect he doesn't realize that there are a hundred, probably more, different answers to that question. It all depends on specifically which individual coin he is asking about.

So OP, what specific coin are you are asking about ?

17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Good luck getting any sort of meaningful response, Doug; hopefully you'll have better luck that most of the others have had. Helping is, of course, a two-way street, and is something I fear the OP fails to understand.

baseball21 likes this.
  18. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

4BC?
    I guess I meant Bullion. The mint does issue some uncirculated, maybe I mistake that for business strike. If so, I make a mistake. Revel in it if you must.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This is an important distinction raised here. Some people seem to think that Uncirculated modern commemorative versions are "business strikes" and others, me included, do not. I don't know what to call them so what I'm referring to is unambiguously understood, but they need their own term, IMHO. Even harder to distinguish linguistically is the plain old ASE from the W mintmarked non-proof version.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  20. cpm9ball

Only children make fun of someone who doesn't understand. That is not my intent.

Chris

21. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Never thought about it, but yes, it is ambiguous.

And what about BURNISHED bullion? It sounds like a pricey appetizer or soup.

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted