How much is this US lot worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Seattlite86, Oct 12, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yes, all Ikes were clad -- but the silver ones were 40% silver clad (80% over 20%), and their edges look just like that.

I can't tell for sure from this photo, because the color balance is off. Can you try shooting them in daylight tomorrow?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Okay, here’s the final tally:
    19x 40% Kennedy halves
    4x 90% Kennedy halves
    1x 90% Walking Liberty

After weighing the Ike Dollars, I determined all of the ones in question to be silver.
    15x 40%
    5x regular/no silver

Approximate total value: $155

Looks like the risk paid off and I came out on top on this one.

4. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow yes you payed 92$ and made money congrats.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Thank you, I got very lucky.

Do mind explaining why you called the Ikes clad?

6. Youngcoin

Clad means it's a different composition of the metals used to make the coins so their not silver, the composition is 91.67% copper, and 8.33% nickel.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. -jeffB

Yes, you got lucky -- but more importantly, you learned something about the seller: he (she?) doesn't know how to stage lots to maximize bidding. If you bid again on lots for this seller, it becomes less about luck, and more about leveraging that insider knowledge! ;)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I would consider that misleading the way they were stacked in the picture. They clearly were stacked to imply several Walkers.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Sorry, I know what clad means (which by the way, clad extends into silver as well as technically Ike dollars are clad with silver).

I was asking why you were confident enough to tell someone definitely that they are clad (meaning no silver), when the coins in question turned out to contain silver.

10. Youngcoin

Well I didn't know that ( that clad could also contain silver my bad ) and I was getting them confused with half dollars and was wrong sorry.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

I would just caution you from being so quick to provide advice. It’s great that you want to help others, but giving bad information is worse than giving no info at all.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There may be potential with one of two of those 71s. Check the 72s for what type they and and there is a variety that worth money with the 71-D ikes as well

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

I definitely need to check these for varieties. Will post if I find any. Might be a while.

14. -jeffB

If you think that, you're insufficiently cynical to bid appropriately on these sorts of auctions. ;)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Now that I know all of my 1965-1970 clad half dollars have no silver content I think I will just roll them up and dump them at the bank. Thanks for the info! Now I can get back about 50 dollars I had invested in junk coins.;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

They have 40% silver and are currently worth $2.57 each melt value.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Did you see the ;).

18. Seattlite86

I appreciate the sarcasm, but others might miss it and think Kennedy halves are not worth more than face...

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I held some 40%ers for a few years. But at the time silver was so low, they were worth about 70 cents each and I spent them at face. I think it was obvious in that post that he was kidding and Sakata just missed that tone/point.
    Had I held those coins for 35 more years, would it be worth more in 2017 at $2.50
    each? Or at 50 cents each 35 years ago?
    Of course selling them when silver was in the mid 40's would prob have realized the greatest profit.
    Going back to the OP (late to the party) I will pull an Ed Wood and say I was very close to your buying price. In this kind of a deal, I would sell off most of the coins, in order to break even, and then save some of the coins I like. Ike varieties if any, maybe the 1 Walker just to remember the deal.

chuck123 and Seattlite86 like this.
  20. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

if everything in the stack under the walker are 90% silver you will be flirting with breaking even unless there is a rare date such as the 1921 from various mints or a 1938-d. All good selling promotes the sizzle not the steak. Before the auction ended you could have asked for photos or scans of the halfs but then everyone would know and bid accordingly. While there is doubt many bidders will hold back and a bargain is possible but not likely.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I sold twenty average circulated ikes recently at my coin club auction. Did not search any for varieties and the page sold for $22.50 before commission. They brought slightly better than face value as I suspected. Many people offer high grade and "special" ikes with few takers. That will change some day. At my age I don't have long enough left to wait on them. In the same auction I sold $18 face value in average circulated star notes for $25 which was slightly better than I usually do.
    In all cases the best time to buy something is when it is not popular. The best time to sell is when it is popular.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted