How much is this confederate currency worth?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by sakata, Jul 19, 2017.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I know very little about currency values and even less about confederate currency. My latest paper money catalog is from 2003 so that is not much help.

I have a 90-year old friend who has nine confederate bills which have been in the family for generations. The family has live in Virginia since before the civil war and she thinks they have been passed down, generation by generation, since then. She has no thoughts of parting with them but she is wondering how she should leave them to her children. She would like to split the bills between them in approximately equal value and asked for my help.

The next nine posts are pictures of these bills. Any help in valuing them would be appreciated as I have no clue.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$100 #1
    100-1.jpg

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$100 #2
    100-2.jpg

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$20 #1
    20-1.jpg

6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$20 #2
    20-2.jpg

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$20 #3
    20-3.jpg

8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$10 #1
    10-1.jpg

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$10 #2
    10-2.jpg

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$10 #3
    10-3.jpg

11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

$10 #4
    10-4.jpg

George McClellan likes this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Coming from a paper back round condition is everything ! though i cant give you
    an exact value amount i can give you an approx grade based on what i see but unless there were very few printed i would have to say the value is on the low
    Side as again condition is about 80% of the value.

1st note would get a (Poor 1) missing pieces and general condition this would
    be the lowest grade offered.

2nd note would get a ( Poor 1) same issues as above

3rd note would get a ( VG 8 ) Though intact severe issues through out

4th note would get a ( VG 6 ) heavy staining and nicks

5th note would get a ( VG 6 ) lots of nicks and general condition

6th note would get a ( F 15 )

7th note would get a ( F 15 ) cant tell if the corners are folded or are missing ?

8th note would get a ( VG 8 )

9th note would get a ( VG 10)

Hopefully i have given you some insight on grade and someone else who is more
    adapt to this kind of currency can assign a value based on those numbers.

13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Thanks mpcusa. That helps. But I still have no idea of the approximate values. Based on the grades would you say the $10 bills are probably worth more than the $100 ones?

14. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

@sakata As with coins, as @mpcusa said it's ALL about condition/grade and rarity...they were distributed in 72 different notes from T-1 to T-72. T-1 thru T-4 are "Montgomery" notes (when Montgomery was the capital of the CSA) and are very rare. One of the best sources of info (but not value) I have found is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_dollar

Your first note T-65 $100 #1 is common and has Lucy Pickens' picture (Queen of the Confederacy) and she has a very colorful history. Yours is in poor condition and may be worth $5-$10 if it is genuine. The $100 #2 is the same, but in slightly better condition.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  15. fish4uinmd

All of the $20's are T-67 and in their condition may be worth $3-5 each. Over 4M printed.

16. fish4uinmd

All of your $10's are T-68...and VERY common...9M + printed...maybe $2 each??
    A recent T-68 graded in 63 EPQ (exceptional paper quality) sold for $225

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Thanks for the link, i will for sure check it out, i welcome the resource always wanted to in crease my knowledge on civil war currency.

18. fish4uinmd

There is a guy by the name of Pierre Fricke, I understand that he is the quintessential guru of CSA notes...be careful with getting bitten by the CSA bug! The history behind them is pure Americana. For example, I searched for almost a year to find a high quality T-69 $5 "Lincoln" note.
    $5 T69 note.jpg $5 T69 note My Lincoln Bill.jpg

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Thanks for all the help, fish. I appreciate the information.

20. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

In my area you could probably get in the range of $100 for the lot.

sakata likes this.
  21. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Whenever I see confederate currency I am reminded of the guy who brought in seven notes. When I told him they were counterfeit he want to know how I knew. I pointed out the word "facsimile" on the back. He said "That can't be right. They did not have fax machines during the Civil War.

mcwyler, Stevearino, -jeffB and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted