How much is my Japanese 10 Yen Worth???

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by frankskim0, Jan 22, 2005.

1. frankskim0

frankskim0 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankskim0

frankskim0 New Member

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

We would need more info to help you - like the date of the coin. Can you post a pic ?

5. frankskim0

frankskim0 New Member

I can't tell what the date is!

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum frank.

If you have a gold ¥10, dated from Meiji 4-43 (1871-1910), it's worth at least BV of about $105-110, and if it is an 1877 or 1880 BU, the Japanese Numismatic Dealers Association catalog values it at ¥20-million (about $196,000). :)

Clark Smith currently has this Meiji 4 (1871) available for only $6,200: [​IMG]

On the other hand, if you have a bronze ¥10, dated from Showa 34-Heisei 16 (1959-2005), it's worth at least 15 for a dollar, but not more than $35-40, all depending on date and condition. :(

For an excellent tutorial on dating Japanese coins click here.

7. Mckeda Small

Mckeda Small New Member

My daughter has a 10 yen . 2012 is located at the top over ten and symbols are below the 10. How much is that worth?

8. Dennisen

Dennisen New Member

Greets. A bronze 10 yen that has no reeded edge is worth around 9c. I spend them all day here in Tokyo.

9. Erica N Boles

Erica N Boles New Member

I have a 10 yen coin and I'm needing help with figuring out the year. Pleas help

10. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

[​IMG]
    Here are the numerals from one to ten.
    昭和 - Showa (emperor Hirohito 1926-1989)
    平成 - Heisei (emperor Akihito 1989- 2019 (he plans to abdicate next year))

Stork likes this.
  11. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

If it is the emperor's first year, they use this symbol - 元. It means "first", as opposed to year two, three, etc.

12. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Post a picture and we can tell you the date. Even a vaguely reasonable phone shot will work. You can upload it by using the 'upload a file' button on the bottom right of the dialog box when typing up your post.

This page is one of several on the internet that shows you how to date a Japanese coin (but don't google Japanese dating or you will get a whole different type of response).

http://www.starcityhomer.com/reading-japanese-coins.html

13. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Dang, some great necroposting here. Post some pictures.

baseball21 likes this.
  14. Jobert Ito

Jobert Ito New Member

Hello I have 10 yen ancient coin...how much is the value now?1951 coin..

15. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Reeded edge ¥10 are worth about 20-25 cents unless they are red or yellow, lustrous and free of any contact marks. Anything less than very high XF is only worth the bulk price of about double face value.

16. Layton L Hobbs

Layton L Hobbs New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Can anyone help me determine a ballpark value for this one. Thanks in advance.

17. Layton L Hobbs

Layton L Hobbs New Member

Can anyone help me determine a ballpark value for this one? Thanks in advance. 20200525_201724.jpg 20200525_201622.jpg 25

18. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Showa 47 + 1925 = 1972
    I'm not aware of ones that recent having numismatic value.
    I can still find the reeded ones from the 50s in the 10 for a dollar bin at coin shops.
    I can't speak as to if it's in good enough condition to carry a premium.

19. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

These 10 Yen coins still circulate in Japan and in its current condition it would be worth only face value, which isn't very much, I'm sorry to say. The JNDA lists its mintage as 634,950,000. Even in absolutely mint condition it would only bring about $6.00. Face value: 10 Yen = 0.093 US.

The date, Showa Year 47, shows under the large "10": 昭和四十七年

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Thread started in 2005

21. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Ah, Heisei 17, a good year. Maybe this thread is old enough to be worth something.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted