how much is my 1789 1st president 1797 coin worth

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by melinda_21_mo, Jun 28, 2010.

1. umn25

umn25 ANA #3154232

I saw that one, but I believe that what was being sold was 3 original Washington buttons from the 1790's for 3,000; this just doesn't show 200 year old wear needed for it to be original and worth so much. It also displays a design that resembles a current coin design which makes me think it's a modern token, not an original piece of Americana worth so much money.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

yea i saw that one too... but totally diff. episode... i know this isnt a button

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hi Melinda,

Welcome to the forum. I am having a hard time estimating the size of your medal/token. Do you have a ruler or something that won't scratch it to measure the diameter ? it would be nice to have a weight in grams or grains if you have a jewelry scale or a re-loader scale. These will help us verify if we find any references to it.

thanks
    Jim

5. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

no i dont at the moment, but i can tell u that i just messured it wit a quarter, half dollar and gold dollar and it is just a lil bigger then the gold dollar and just a lil smller then the silver half dollar... but its lighter then both

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

melinda -
    Without better pictures, the most I can tell is that it looks like a token - Alot of the time tokens sell for a buck or so -
    I agree that yours was most likely made with a hole in it.
    If you are not able to get any better pictures, you might try taking it to a local dealer and letting him check it out.

Speedy

7. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

oh and the gold dollar is a tad bit thinker if u look at its sides

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

9. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

yea

i think ur right.. do u by chance know what it is worth

10. Speedy

LOL - I was posting the same link!!!
    Yep'er - I'm pretty sure that is what she has.

Melinda -
    Check out the pic's in that ebay listing and see it they match your coin - also notice that the seller has listed this for around $20....who knows what the value is....but I would say less than that.

Hope this helps - I'm sure it wasn't what you were hoping to hear but things happen like that sometime.

Speedy

11. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

well tks

but im really just tryin to talk to someone who knows a lil somethin about it....

12. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

Melinda,
    These guys gave you a lot of information that you did not have before. I know sometimes it is dissapointing when you think something is worth more than it really is. What I would recommend is doin a google search from the ebay listing I find out all the info you want. I am sure you will be able to find out tons but at least now you know what it is.

bethany tebrow likes this.
  13. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

yea

and i appricate it... tks

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

It may be difficult to find much on it. It could have been a souvenir put out by a private company (eg. gas station) as a promotional item or just a decorative medallion. Because there isn't any other identifying marks or manufacturer's name on it, the desirability of it would be quite low. Hence, the "buy it now" value of $19.99 by the ebay seller.

If you like it, hang on to it. :smile

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am not too familiar with tokens, but the 6154C seems to be an ID number in some book or scheme. It does bring up other ebay and also token sales site, the same token. The price is also the same being under $20. Maybe someone who researches tokens will see the question and add to all of our knowledge.

Jim

16. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

well thank u

and yea ur right.. i might just have to go get it appraised

17. Speedy

Melinda -
    I know it must be hard to agree - but from all of the info that the guys have posted, and just from a normal numismatic background, with a small knowledge of tokens, the piece you have just isn't worth being appraised.

While there are times that tokens can be worth money, that isn't often, and most of the time those are really old tokens. Most likely your token was made in the mid 1900's. If people can't sell it on ebay for $20, then it is highly unlikely that one in the condition that yours is in would bring anywhere close to that.

If you are dead set about it being worth $5000, then by all means get a token expert to check it out. Right here on CT, you can send a message to a member by the name of CWTOKENMAN. As far as I know, he has the largest knowledge base on tokens of anyone here on CoinTalk.

Speedy

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

2nd that.......:)

19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Or you can take it to a coin store and see what they think.
    What part of Mo you from? We might know people there to help.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I hate to tell you this but I am familiar with this piece. They were produced in the 1970's and were used by one clothing manufacturer as a zipper pull on a jacket. They were also used as a bangle on bracelets. I have owned several of them and have seen many others

21. melinda_21_mo

melinda_21_mo New Member

so u would say that it isnt worth anything

or just not much at all?

Draft saved Draft deleted