How much is a complete dime set 1946-1964 worth?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Revi, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I just picked up a complete dime set in a Whitman holder. How much do you think it's worth. It contains 48 dimes and they are all 90% silver, so I figure they are worth the price in the redbook of at least $3 each. They are in good shape. Is there a premium because they are all there?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Assuming coins are only worth melt - 83.20 based off the coinflation website. Grades make a difference.

4. Heated Lime

Heated Lime Member

There is really no key dates in Roosevelt dimes so I'm pretty sure they would all be worth melt unless they are MS

5. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Thanks. I wasn't sure. I think they are worth hanging on to anyway. There's no premium for the whole set I guess.

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I respectfully disagree. I believe the '49 S and '50 S are keys and bring more of a premium in mint state conditions than other dates. Furthermore, having full torches in the series tends to raise up a little in price to the right collector.

7. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

I think that is the issue. I personally wouldn't pay more then melt for any Roosevelt dime. Sure the book value is more, but real world odds are you won't get a premium.

8. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Are the proofs in that set if so they are worth more. Plus as mentioned already any that are still MS should be worth more to somebody.

9. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

No, they aren't ms coins, but they are in pretty good shape. I guess they are worth around $144 or so for the set of 48 coins.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I was going to voice skepticism, but I see that a couple of sets have recently brought around $150 on eBay. The more common price seems to be around $120. I have got to start selling some stuff on eBay; buyers are going nuts.

11. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

The problem with a circulated set is that circulated coins are readily available for melt...so the value of the set would be the value you would place on having someone else accumulate it and put it into a book. I'm pretty sure I could put together a full circulated set in a couple hours if I wanted to...

That being said, I'd absolutely check that set for errors/varieties.

12. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Quoted from Coinflation's website..... Your set is worth around $85

There are 3.4723 troy ounces of silver in 48 silver Roosevelt dime(s).

» Each Roosevelt dime contains 0.0723 troy ounces of silver and is valued at $1.75 when silver is at $24.24 / ounce.

» A roll of Roosevelt dimes has 50 coins and is valued at $87.68 when silver is at $24.24 / ounce.

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

In the fall of 2008, there was a person selling nice, uncirculated sets on eBay for $100/set. The sets (1946-1964...48 coins) were mounted in new Dansco albums. I bought a bunch of them for Christmas presents. I still have a 4 or 5...somewhere. As I recall, I negotiated a bulk discount. I want to say I paid $85/set with S&H included.

Today, these sets should probably sell for around $200/set.

14. mmablaster

mmablaster Member

I just browsed a little on ebay. Looks like people are trying to sell complete sets for $200+, but aren't getting bids. Incomplete sets seem to be around $2/dime plus a little for the book.

15. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Thanks. I feel better about my purchase now. I got it for $83, so at least I wasn't ripped off.

16. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

Getting any junk silver below melt is good right now. :thumb:

17. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

If you want to sell one of the sets whenever you dig them up, I'll buy one. I'm trying to finish my Dansco w/ proof sets :smile

PM me if interested

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In 1990 I gave $20 for an MS set. Should have bought a hundred sets.

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A Set Less Offered On eBay

I purchase complete sets in internet auctions as an investment, and although one would think this set to be inexpensive and commonly offered, I've found that to be incorrect.

The current C.D.N. dealer wholesale "Grey Sheet" supports my observations, listing a wholesale dealer "ask" price of $155 for a "circulated" set. I believe this cost is slightly greater/oz. than the more commonly offered 35 coin circulated Franklin half dollar set, listed @ $530.

Nice Find!!
    :thumb:

20. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You Would Have Many Buyers!!

I, and many others would purchase all that could be delivered for a significant premium above melt, for this set delivered in the books, especially Dansco. Although the more recent dates are common, there are some elusive keys and semi-keys in the middle of that set.

JMHO
    :thumb:

21. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I've gone through several sets in MS at the $180-200 range. They are fairly common enough because of the overall lack of demand for the entire set.

Draft saved Draft deleted