How much is 20 Bulgarian Leva actually worth?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Oct 16, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Ok, this is a stupid question but I can't find a straight answer.
    I have a Bulgarian 20 Leva bill, which apparently converts to ~$11 USD. But, the same notes are selling on ebay for $1.
    So what the heck is this thing worth? $11 or $1?
    leva.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

From reading Wikipedia, the Leva was revalued in 1999, so your 1991 note is no longer usable in Bulgaria. So I suspect the $1 price tag is where it sits in terms of numismatic value.

NOS likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Since 1999, the Lev has been pegged to the German Mark (and then the Euro). At current exchange rates, 20 Lev is worth $11.23.

However, as Dave mentioned, the currency was revalued in 1999. There was an exchange rate at the time of about 1000:1 (although that period has long expired). Essentially, your bill is worthless as currency - its only value is to collectors.

NOS likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You mean that 7,000,000 pesos I bought in Mexico are worthless!!!:bored:

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

Thanks a bunch for clearing that up!

7. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Excuse my ignorance but who is on the front?

8. Kentucky

Duchess; Boyana Church Google is your friend

9. hotwheelsearl

some Byzantine looking lady :D

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Yeah, but keep looking until you get a good answer:

Front: Effigy of Duchess Autocrat Donator (Sebastokrator Ktitor) Desislava of the Boyana Church in Sofia.
    Fragment of a fresco with two rampant lions facing away from each other. Back: Boyana Church on the outskirts
    of Sofia. Small icons with a lion, bird and a mythical hybrid creature. Watermark: Rampant lion. Work by: Unknown.Main colour: Multicolour. Signatures: Unknown (Upravitel - President); Ivanov (Chief Cashier). Issuer: Bulgarian
    National Bank. Date of issue: 1 November 1991. Date of withdrawal: 31 July 1998. Printer: Giesecke & Devrient,Leipzig, Germany.

11. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

@hotwheelsearl , $1 for such a beautifully designed note is a steal IMO. Really lovely note!

12. Kentucky

This brought to mind my looking through a dealer's junk box (5-$1) and finding several modern 100 yen pieces...exchange value $1...wow, $5 worth for $1, now all I have to do is go to Japan to spend them.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted