How much does a coin worth if it's graded

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ibuycoinsoffebay, Oct 19, 2017.

1. By all the major graders

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Not possible to answer.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Curtisimo and Santinidollar like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

6. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

Does that have to be Is that MS or Proof?

Endeavor likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not necessarily.

Sorry for poking fun with my original response, but I'm with Kurt on this one -- your original question is a bit like "how much does food cost?". You'll have to be a lot more specific to get a serious answer.

Two Dogs likes this.
  8. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Perhaps not. Coins like food are worth more in original, unused condition, no?

9. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

To continue the theme, ask yourself how much does bread cost? To answer you must know if it's white bread, rye, pumpernickel, wheat, 9-grain, French, etc. And is it in a full loaf or sliced, is it made with preservatives or fresh baked, is it day old, etc. How much does a coin increase in value if it's graded? The same amount as bread.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well if you have a coin and you have had it graded by all the grading services you probably aren't going to get back what you put into it.

11. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Which raises the question, is oven baked bread considered to be artificially toned?

12. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

about three fiddy

C-B-D and johnmatt like this.
  13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Neither price guide reflects reality as both are what coin dealers report.

As for the OP's question?

The Slabbing of a Coin does not increase it's value unless you can find a sucker that actually believe's that it increases the coins value which is the primary goal of TV Marketers.

Kirkuleez and paddyman98 like this.
  14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Understood

15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

At least face value.

Two Dogs likes this.
  16. does graded coins add value?

Old Coin Dawg likes this.
  17. maddurfee

maddurfee Boy Wonder

It should add value to the coin. When a coin is graded ,the coin is then protected in a holder and its then proven authentic. My opinion, that adds value. I also feel, the buyer of said coin is the one who benefits most from the service. Considering this, I feel the cost of grading sould be the least amount of value added to the coin paid by the buyer. If sold..

baseball21 and charlietig like this.
  18. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Agreed

19. Old Coin Dawg

Old Coin Dawg Active Member

The only added value is that the coin has been graded by a third party. But coins value does not change.

20. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Slabbing coins adds value for key dates because it removes the possibility of the coin being a forgery. Unfortunately the Chinese fakers have begun putting fake coins in fake slabs so that adds risk in the aftermarket. If you are the one who sends it to TPG then you know for sure that the coin is not faked. Other than key dates and varieties you would want to slab if it is super high grade. There are major price differences between MS 63 - 64 - 65 - 66 - 67 - 68 - 69 - 70. You may be able to grade those differences yourself but buyers are likely to disagree with you. If it is slabbed there is no argument on actual condition.

21. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The coin is worth exactly the same amount that it was worth prior to being slabbed. Why would it be worth a different amount? It's still the same coin.

The slab, itself, however is worth something though. The assurance of authenticity, an idea of the grade, even the protection of the coin provided by its plastic cocoon has value as well.

A buyer then pays for both items rather than just the coin. That's why prices can be higher on slabbed coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted