How much do counterstamps effect old copper value and grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldrealmoney79, Aug 8, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

IMO it’s at full money now. Any higher and you are overpaying. You can buy much nicer G/VG details coins without any counterstamping for $2000 or less

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It can also depend on the die variety. The coin from the OP is a S-6, not a particularly rare variety so it is probably at its max price. But if it had been a S-7 it would still have a ways to go. There is a 1794 in the EAC auction tonight that has been counterstamped twice with a full name on both sides. I was offered it at Central states last year and seriously considered it.......at $6,000. It's a S-33 and one of the toughest 1794's to get.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It all depends on the coin, the Die, Date, Variety and the Counterstamp itself. Some are common but some of those counterstamps are rare.

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have one counter stamped large cent with a 19th century political slogan on it. I won’t bother with one unless the counter stamp means something to me. I think many collectors feel that way, which lowers the value of those coins.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's damaged goods.......unless the 'counter-stamp' is of some known variety/person/hallmark, the point is moot........still collectable, but not particularly of any value. Why is everyone trying to make a million bucks? Play Lotto......you've got a better chance of striking it rich.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Counterstamps are Damage to the coin but there are a bunch of collectors of these items.

Draft saved Draft deleted