How much cost 5 lbs of silver

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mintmark-s, Apr 2, 2010.

1. mintmark-s

mintmark-s Junior Member

Hello ct staff,
    My friend had 5 lbs of silver from dime to half dollar. He found by metal detector for year to many year save up. He want sell me.
    What your guess how much money 5 lbs silver?
    Thank you very much Tim

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Assuming it's 90% -- I'd offer $1,100

4. chip

chip Novice collector

5 pounds is ABOUT 72.916 TROY OUNCES with silver about 17.87 a troy ounce that would come to about 1300 dollars, give yourself about 20 percent cushion and you should offer about 1040 dollars, but remember to check the pieces first, to make sure you are not paying silver price for cupronickel

5. krispy

krispy krispy

You can try to use the Dendriticts online calculator for PMs.
    Just plug in the values accordingly.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Assuming it is 90% silver coin, and that it weighs exactly 5 pounds, and that you friend is NOT using a troy scale so he doesn't mean 5 troy pounds, and that it isn't overly heavy with silver dollars, then he would have $90.70 in face value. I don't follow the silver market closely enough to know what dealers are paying times face but if it is 11X then it's worth $997.70 and if it is 12X then it's $1,088.

Chip has has made the assumption of 5 standard pounds of pure silver (so he is thinking 5.55 pounds of 90% silver coin.)

7. ktcmojo

ktcmojo New Member

OH MY GOD...........i was looking for some bandaids under my sink in the bathroom.......found a bag that was labeled surgical pads from some of my surgeries...........picked it up and went DAAAAAAAM this is heavy..........
    I opened it and almost had a heart attack............final count was SEVEN POINT FIVE POUNDS of silver..............
    one day ill remember to write down where i hide stuff..........LOL
    In the meantime I have to go thru this............NINETY FOUR FRANKLIN HALVES in one bag................
    I hope Im awake! hahahaha

8. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Deleted, because as gun novice pointed out, I am responding to a 3 year old thread and I'm an idiot :)

9. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

This is an old thread and the poster you responded to isn't the OP.

10. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Do you need a paying tenant? Sounds like the kind of house I'd like to live in :)

11. ktcmojo

ktcmojo New Member

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
    I think its about the 5th time its happened but never that large a score
    now i gotta put em away again but WRITE DOWN WHERE THEY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted