How many wheat pennies do you have?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dilly dollar, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

I just love wheat back pennies. The average wheat pennies value is not very much and you can find them in circulation still, but they just look so cool.

I have about 3000 wheat pennies.

dlhill132, Gilbert and onecenter like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. onecenter

onecenter Member

They are indeed wonderful coins. It is this coin where it all began, so to speak, at least for me. I have over 25,000 wheat cents, all pulled from circulation since I began collecting in 1969.

4. Dilly dollar

Wow that's akout. I'm 13 and I started collecting 2 years ago. Some are from my dad, some of them I bought and most of mine came out of constant coin roll hunting.

swamp yankee and coinzip like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I just found a 58-D on the ground yesterday as I was exiting my storage unit complex.

Chris

6. Dilly dollar

That's cool.
    Man I need to get a 1931 s penny.
    I think Im going to get one for next Christmas or my birthday.
    I know it's expensive, but it will not be hard for me to get if I stop buying silver rounds for a week.

7. Mic123

Mic123 Member

working on 1909- 1942 & just about finished all AU or better
    missing a few keys
    Fun to collect my /Indian Head set done as well.

shiny coins for life and Gilbert like this.
  8. Dilly dollar

What are you still missing?

9. WDF

WDF Its all about history

I have about the same as Onecenter. I started collecting in 1964, Indians, wheats, buffs, mercs were very common in pocket change. Grocery stores had coin machines that had plastic containers that held older coins for a Nickel or a dime you could take a hopeful shot at a rare one. Those days were fun.

10. Dilly dollar

I was not around during those days, but that sounds awesome.

shiny coins for life likes this.
  11. superzimm

superzimm Well versed collector

I bought up a coin collection this week. Included was 2274 wheats. About half are in rolls. I still need to look through them all, but I'll get rid of them after. I don't tend to keep many wheaties, as I feel the billions of common ones will never go up in value. And my set is complete, although I could always upgrade. That task is always on my Morgan's though. ☺

12. Dilly dollar

13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yea i got 25-30k wheaties with about 90 percent seperated by date an mintmark in coin tubes an stored in the red cent boxes...

14. Dilly dollar

You have almost ten times what I have.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yep, from 1957 to about 1963, I could go to the bank and get Morgan dollars at face value. I accumulated about 800 during that period.

Chris

16. Cylii

Cylii New Member

My grandfather left a few behind when he passed. My guesstimate is 80-100,000. Double that if you throw in memorial cents. All mostly separated by decade.

swamp yankee and Gilbert like this.
  17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm somewhere in the 20-25K range. I remember spending weeks sorting through them and sticking them in my old Whitman folders when I was a kid.

swamp yankee and Gilbert like this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck, I must have been in the wrong part of the country back in dem days. I had a paper route so I collected a ton of change. Lots of walking liberties, Franklins and standing liberties but never once did I encounter and indian head or 'Barber'........

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have just shy of 6k that I have pulled from circulation in the last couple years. I feel like I'm behind the curve.

swamp yankee likes this.
  20. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

I have 37 wheaties and have no idea why I still have them.

21. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

I have probably a little less than 1000 because my grandpa had can and cans of them. He also gave me a bunch of other silver coins later too.

swamp yankee and superzimm like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted