How many U.S. coins have a "reversed" motto?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JeffC, Apr 29, 2019.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I have a question for those experts here who are very knowledgeable about U.S. coin history.

While examining "Washington's pocket piece" (a Littleton replica), I noticed that the ribbon in the Eagle's beak reads "UNUM E. PLURIBUS". I have no knowledge of Latin but like most, I know that E. PLURIBUS UNUM means "Out of Many, One" (or some similar variant). So UNUM E. PLURIBUS would still have the same meaning in principle: One out of many, or One from many.

Out of curiosity, I tried to find other old U.S. coins with a "reversed" motto, but came up empty. Does "Unum E. Pluribus" appear only on the 1792 Washington $10 gold eagle? Or are there other coins that have this alternative motto arrangement? If so, can you let me know or post the pic? Just curious. And thanks again! 20190429_222727 copy.jpg 20190429_222818.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

May have been that way, due to regulation at the time, copy is stamped on the reverse?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

On Page 80 of the Red Book (2013) Post-Colonial issues, a 1791 One Cent is listed with the same inscription.

Chris

Garlicus and JeffC like this.
  5. JeffC

Yes, this is a replica from Littleton.

6. JeffC

Thanks Chris. I didn't go back far enough. I thought 1793 (Flowing Hair cent) was the first time U.S. coins were minted. Learned something new.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

1793 was the first year that coins were issued under the Constitution (The 1787 Fugio was also a US coin but issued under private contract and under the Articles of Confederation) The "1791 cent" and most of the other Washington pieces were actually made in England. Some of the ones such as the 1783 "Unity Cent" were made as late as the 1820's.

cpm9ball likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted