How many pre 1960 nickels do you find per box?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Wheatie44, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Wheatie44

Wheatie44 Active Member

what is y'all's average of pre 1960 nickels per box?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Around 17-18... But it varies a ton.

Wheatie44 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I stare real hard at the box for about one minute, and if a number doesn't jump out at me, I don't buy the box.

Chris

5. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

FYI, I rarely buy full boxes.... usually it's 20-25 rolls at a time from various banks/tellers.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You said that "it varies a ton". So, how many boxes do you think are in a ton?

Chris;););)

7. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

BTW Wheatie, there's a feature called "ignore." I've seen a lot of newbies on here flooded with irrelevant, off-topic posts lately for whatever reason. I'm not sure why this is happening, or whether they're just trying to discourage new members... Glad to have you onboard here!

Wheatie44 likes this.
  8. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Just got 25 rolls each from my two main banks... hoping I at least hit my average!

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A serious response here instead of some mock the newb - I find about 10-12 pre 1950 dates - the only post 1949 dates I save are the '50, '50-D and the S mints otherwise I throw them back into the wild.

Wheatie44 and John77 like this.
  10. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

The 55-P and 58 P's are good to save too... especially the 55's... I have only found ONE of those ever in all of my years of searching.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I save the '55 when I can find them, but honestly I have found more '39-D and '50-Ds than the '55. Found a couple of '39-S over the last week.

John77 likes this.
  12. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I think people really hoarded the 55-P a lot back in the day thanks to the low mintage. So funny, in my lifetime I have found exactly 1 each of the 39-D, 50-D, and 55-P... and none of them in my 5 months of CRH...

My avatar came about over an 11 day period last month when I found 3 1939-Ss!!! So, you have one more to go to catch me there. ;)

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have probably a dozen or so '39-D over the years, only two '50-Ds. I think some of my best finds though are 1914 and 1916 Buffaloes in VF+, also found an 1894 - a rare date but it had a big gouge in it.

John77 likes this.
  14. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Those are some nice finds! I was thrilled to recently find an 18-D Buff in G-6... a $30 or so coin retail.

15. brandon08967

brandon08967 Young Collector

I average around 20-25 pre-60 nickels per box

Wheatie44 and John77 like this.
  16. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

I don't buy boxes, but out of the usual $10 I spend for nickels, I find about 4.

17. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

In other words about 40 per box worth of nickels.

18. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I've never really done nickels much, but about 4 per $10 I'd say.

Not that pre-60s are worth keeping unless UNC, low mintage date, war nickel, or prior to 1938.

19. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I have been through a lot of boxes and average around 25 per fed wrapped roll box, and a little less from customer wrapped rolls. I have accumulated about $85 face value of them and have no idea what to do with them. They are just fun to hunt and collect.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John77 likes this.
  20. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I rarely do full boxes... I usually like to get half boxes to sample what a particular teller has on their hands... My best so far is 18 pre-60s out of 25 rolls.

I've gone through stretches where I was finding a lot of War Nickels and Buffalos like earlier this month, so I kept pounding that teller and bank until they ran out of the good ones. In contrast, one of my other branches got some new nickels the other week, and I found TWO pre-60s out of 1000 coins! Needless to say, I didn't grab the other half of that box!

21. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Have you checked them for the key dates and/or silver?

Draft saved Draft deleted