how many people collect Kennedy halves?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fusiafinch, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Yup!!! I also have one of 1250 1961-
    JFK dateless spoons
    But mainly 1964-1970-D&S and Die Variety.
    :kewl:

Attached Files:

4. cfCoin

cfCoin New Member

I love the halves. I've bought and sold many pre '64's and look forward to a new half design... we are due!

5. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

According to an interview the acting director gave recently, the Mint may give up the dollar, half dollar and nickel coins before long, maybe 2013. Wonder how popular Kennedy halves will get if that happens? Future Mercury dimes/Walkers in high grade?

6. fatima

fatima Junior Member

This coin is one of the primary reasons I buy at least one silver proof set each year.

7. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

8. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I don't but here's the one I have 64D Half-horz.jpg

10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Me. I save every one I find. I have a '64 that was found underneath some drawers in a house we grew up in (Apparently it was the custom to hide a half dollar from the year the house was built somewhere in the house. I'm glad my mom found this one.) I also have 10 40% halves that I got at work. One of the halves I got at work, a 1967, had a hole drilled in the top of it so I decided to make a necklace out of it, and I wear it all the time. I like the regular Kennedy halves and the bicentennials as well. The JFK half dollar is the most attractive coin being minted by the US mint except for bullion coins like the silver eagle dollar coin (which is just a ripoff of a design from the golden era of coins, but it's still beautiful) and some of the gold coins. I wish more of these were in circulation, so I could search for silver ones.

11. onecenter

onecenter Member

Kennedy half dollars are the link with my childhood in the 1960's. Many times I received a silver 1964-dated half or a 1965-1969-dated silver clad half as a gift before I really became a collector in 1969. I still have every one of these gifts and have added many more accumulated from the occasional find from circulation. The Kennedy half dollar is really the coin that started my 45-year enjoyment of collecting.

12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

This thread is funny...especially the post just a few posts up from 2011!!!

13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Don't collect them, but I do have some. I only want one more in NGC plastic: '64 Accented Hair PF68 CAM/UCAM

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Full Gem set in Dansco, plus toned Kennedys and some better dates slabbed. People have seen mine posted a few times.

15. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

Gonna be pretty tough to find in that grade ... especially the UCAM! Good luck ...

Best Regards,

George

16. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Ah, the memories! I was 9 when the Kennedy was released and I'd say it was what really spurred my addiction to collecting - all those new frosty white coins. I think my allowance at the time was about 50c/week, so not much opportunity to hoard them, although I remember my father & uncle having many rolls of them - they were the coin everyone talked about.

So yes, I do collect them and am looking forward to the anniversary set(s). These days I buy rolls from the mint, if only they were silver. This is where the mint has really missed the boat (as usual) - if only they offered silver mint sets. Yeah, they offer silver proof sets, which require a trained eye to differentiate from the cupro-nickel set. But, a frosty white silver mint set, there is nothing comparable.

hcmusicguy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted