how many people collect Kennedy halves?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fusiafinch, Aug 19, 2009.

1. CoyoteMoss

CoyoteMoss Junior Member

Presidential Seal

I have two complete sets without proofs. I really really like the reverse on this coin. Just looks impressive to me or something?? Anyway, I think I am going to order a third Dansco, put together another set and place them in the album reverse up... I think that would really look great when you open it up. :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Old green Pcgs

Here one that can be had just email me it should upgrade to a PR-68-69 Ultra Cameo if sent to Ngc

Attached Files:

4. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

Nice coin Jello! I sure like the 1965-70 40% coins with Cameo/Deep Cameo contrast. I just picked up a 1964 PR68DCAM PCGS, wow what a tough coin.

5. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Love them, have almost a full set up to '02. I use the whitman albums.

6. giorgio11

Yeah I have a raw set I put together hand-picked, from proof sets, mint sets, and BU rolls. I think it's complete through '06, including the collector only-issues. Those babies are heavy too! But what a gorgeous set, I love it almost as much as my Registry Set.

7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I have a total of 437 Kennedy halves, not counting the ones in the proof and mint sets. I have nearly two full collections with a few missing silver proofs, which I do have in the silver proof sets. I love the look of them in MS or PF condition.

8. giorgio11

Wow! Sounds nice.

9. giorgio11

Got My 1964 SMS Kennedy Half on Sunday

The star of my set by a long shot, the 1964 SMS coins were produced under mysterious circumstances. The half dollar is the rarest of the five SMS denominations known. They apparently came from a Mint employee, possibly director Eva Adams, through NYC coin dealer Lester Merkin's estate, which Stack's sold beginning in 1993.

Mine is a 1964 SMS MS67 PCGS. PCGS has certified six in MS67 with five finer, but several of those are resubmissions. The actual population might be as low as four with three finer. Photos are on my website and on the PCGS Registry Set site. The addition of this coin and a few other recent toys has moved me up to #3 All-Time Finest. Many thanks to my several collector friends who made it happen. Kiss

Best Regards, George

10. tracy5900

tracy5900 Coin Hoarder

almost all collectors will like the kennedy half dollar. but maybe few would like to collect them in set.

11. coins2006

coins2006 Member

Kennedy Set

I have the complete set from 64 to 09. The set comes from the Proof and Mint sets that I break open. The years that there were no Mint sets I try to get the best rolled coin I can get my hands on. The later date silver halfs are really nice. Just wished I had started to have the coins graded years ago, but still like the look and feel of the set in the Dansco. Hope to find out for sure if the Mint set this year will or will not have the satin finish coins. What a pain, the P & D Satin from the Mint set. Regular business strike from a roll and another blank page for the satin finish coins. Will try to post some pictures of the set.

Thanks, Charlie

12. Danr

Danr Numismatist

That sounds like an impressive set. How many coins is that?

13. coins2006

coins2006 Member

Coin Count

I have to get a complete count when I get home. I think the count now is Appox 144 Kennedy halfs without the special 1995 and the additional satin coins. I will take some photos of the set. I like to look at the difference in the coins from the Mint State to the clad proof to the Silver proof. What a difference.
    Thanks, Charlie

14. PdlJmpr

PdlJmpr Junior Member

'
    I'm working on two sets and put my duplcates in sets for my 3 kids. Found 18 rolls at a bank last November that yielded a couple dozen to all my sets plus many upgrades. Looks like I'm still missing 20 in my first series and 30 in my second. Instead of looking for everything all the time, I go after halves specifically in Sept-Oct. Thinking of buying my way to complete first set, especially the last 6-7 years, instead of waiting for them to float along in circulation.

15. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I collect them but not like you guys do...just here and there.

When do you think they will drop the set and stop making them?

16. I am not an avid collector of Kennedy halves but do have a few in my collection. My guess is that the last year will be 2013 (after 50 years). TC

17. sunflower

sunflower New Member

My dad and brother love them. I just was'nt getting it. I decided to try them out. I bought a roll about 3 weeks ago - BU condition. I still have not caught the bug. I am happy to have a few to call my own, but will probabley thrill the pants off of one of my family members someday in the future if and when I toss them their way. -

So, I guess I do not collect JFK's. I actually think it is a very beautiful coin, but for what ever reason - it is not a magnet for me.

18. immytay1

immytay1 Member

I collect them just for silver and the errors.

19. MZimm

MZimm Junior Member

I collect the Kennedy's and have since 1980.... I have 3 complete raw sets including the SMS and clad/ silver proofs... I also have a complete proof set from 64 to date inclding the SMS.... two shoe boxs of 64 rolls and 3 shoe boxs of 65-69 all BU..... It's a coin that reaches out and grabs ya, the eagle is hot and the man behind the coin was incredible....... :hail:

20. RiverGuy

RiverGuy Tired and Retired

Me Too...

I was in college when this half was first released and I've always had a warm place in my collectors heart for it. I spent several years assembling a proof registry set for NGC Registry. I got to #40 and realized that future significant improvement was going to cost major amounts of money. I'm working on several other sets - Lincoln #6, Roosevelt #6, ASE's 5 PF70's to go, etc. Two weeks ago I made the decision to sell the Kennedys. It's the toughest collecting decision I've made in a very long time. About 80% are :crying: now at Teletrade and should show up in 3 or 4 weeks. There are some gorgeous 60's NGC proof star grades and a run of PCGS Pf 70's that would knock your socks off. I sure hope the new owners appreciate them as much as I did.
    At least my other series will benifit from a capitol infusion.

21. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

I hate to hear that. Hopefully you will be able to replace them with some coins you have always wanted.:cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted