how many people collect Kennedy halves?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fusiafinch, Aug 19, 2009.

1. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

Moment of silence for a champion of the common man. RIP Senator Edward Kennedy, who died yesterday evening. Youngest of the seven children of Rose and Joseph.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. becky62

becky62 Collector

I completed a full set unc, proofs and varieties. The only one I do not have is the 98 matte. It's expensive but one day I'd love to have it and then I would feel my set is really complete, (except for any DDR's and DDO's).

4. giorgio11

Not to mention the 1964 SMS and RPMs (several) and No FG's!

I have two of the 1998-S Matte/SMS, both MS70/SP70 PCGS (PCGS has recently begin grading the SMS coins as SPXX (for Specimen) rather than MSXX (for Mint State).

Best Regards,

George
    VDB Coins

5. becky62

becky62 Collector

I have the 64 SMS but not any rpm's and no FGs. I guess a set is never really complete, lol. I just feel with the 98 Matte I'd consider mine complete.

6. Ahab

Ahab Member

I too have 2 sets going. An Dansco unc/proof and a Whitman circulated.:D

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I have several sets of Kennedy Halves and all complete to date. I get Albums free from a dealer I know so as soon as I get some Albums from him, I start filling them from my massive duplicate collection. Usually almost fill a new Album within days.

8. novillero

novillero Junior Member

I ma working on my Dansco JFK BU and proof set. There's a lot of holes to fill in that book... and it's getting really heavy.

I feel like I am getting the book pretty full... then I count how many holes I have ... 23!!! And of course, most of the more expensive silver ones.

9. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I enjoy collecting this series very much. I really never noticed the changes on the obverse over the years. The newer portrait actually looks more like Bobby Kennedy. I waited until after supper to learn something today. Coin talk saves the day!!!

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I don't have any 1972-D's no FG but I have these>>>>> have a look right from the U.S. Mint bags 2001 P concavo/convexo error. PM me if you are interested. Paddy

RIP Teddy a Great Stateman, "Lion of the Senate"...and one heck of a Salor! Gods speed Teddy!

Attached Files:

11. pobrien36

pobrien36 Junior Member

I usually just go through rolls of the kennedys and just pick out the silver ones.

12. Scrumhalf2

Scrumhalf2 Junior Member

Just silver for me too, but I love the designs prior to kennedy

13. giorgio11

New Arrivals:

1966 SMS, FS-103 DDO, MS67 PCGS. Spiffy variety with broad notching at IN GOD.
    1998-S SMS MS70 PCGS, nifty Flag holder. Sweet!
    2005-S Silver PR70 PCGS. Tough.
    1996-S Silver PR70 PCGS. Ditto
    2001-S Clad PR70 PCGS. Wow, what a tough coin, thanks my nameless friend. Pop 40.

I'm getting down to the short hairs on the PR70s I need, after 1986 anyway. What about you!???

Best Regards,

George
    VDB Coins

14. giorgio11

Sounds like a lot of fun! Would you mind telling me your bank :goofer:

Best Regards,

George
    VDB Coins

15. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Cool, giorgio. Hey, when you look at those 70's, can you pick out ones that are "better" than the others? So there can be a MS70* designation? Even at the 70 level, there's differences.

16. novillero

novillero Junior Member

I don't understand this error coin. Can you explain it for me?

17. giorgio11

Maybe some are 70- much better than a 69+ :rolling:

All seriousness aside, yes there are differences, it all depends on what you are willing to pay for what you find attractive. Learn to grade for yourself and buy the coin not the slab.

Best Regards,

George
    VDB Coins

18. giorgio11

Paddy has those coins, but from the appearance it looks like they were struck with too much force so that the coins have a "dished" or bowl look, concave on one side, convex on the other. This kind of error is much more common on 19th century gold dollars or silver three cents, for example, than 21st century Kennedys.

Best Regards,

George
    VDB Coins

19. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have two complete sets in new Dansco albums without proofs. Also 2 incomplete sets and a couple hundred singles. I don't quite know what to do with it all. I'd like to end up with just one complete set without proofs.
    Once in a while I upgrade a coin in the number one set.
    I have put singles on eBay for sale. But eBay gets most of [or all] the profit.
    I guess I'm just hoarding till I figure out a way to market them without giving them away. I put a lot of work into the series but have stopped now.
    I'll get the 2010 P and D when they come out.

20. Pismo500

Pismo500 Member

Which one is the most difficult to obtain?

21. giorgio11

Depends on what you mean by "difficult." Most of the 2002 and later issues were only sold by the Mint to collectors, as well as 1970-D (Mint Set only) and 1987-PD (same). If you are a Registry Set collector as I am, many of the business strikes are conditionally quite rare in the highest grades, as as PR70DCAM coins. There are also lots of varieties that are tough.

Best Regards,

George
    VDB Coins

Draft saved Draft deleted