how many people collect Kennedy halves?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fusiafinch, Aug 19, 2009.

1. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

I was wondering how many people collect Kennedy half dollars here. Anyone filling an entire set? What's the best resource book for this series?

I have become more interested in this series recently. Seems to offer some variety with metal content changes and Bicentennial coins. I have also noticed on the proofs, starting in the 1980's that the obverse profile has changed a bit, notably the hair and lower relief.

Then, I was able to get a 2005-P satin finish coin and it looks like the obverse has changed significantly. Smaller profile and different hair. Looks different (and less artistic) than the 1964 original. Anyone else notice this?

Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

many but very silent.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

You might like this recent thread that discussed the changes in the portrait on Kennedy Halves: Kenndy Comparison - 1964 to 2009

...and here's another recent thread that discussed the future of the .50¢ piece:
    Next great half dollar?

Use the 'search' feature on the toolbar at the top of the page, I'm sure you'll find some others.

5. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Krispy, thanks for the links!!!!

6. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

photos

here's some pics off of the Teletrade site of the coins that I bought recently:

1) NGC MS66 1964 half
    2) PCGS MS69 half satin finish

Attached Files:

7. petro89

petro89 Member

I have a nearly complete set. I need 5 more proofs (including the 98 matte finish) and about 15 BU's. I like the halves! Next up will be Franklins!

I too have noticed the differences in the portrait.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

This was probably the most widely collected circulating modern
    until 1999 when the states coins took over. The cent may have
    passed it in the last few years as well.

While there are lots of collectors many are very casual collectors
    rather than what we consider numismatists. They save the coins
    as they run across them and might spend duplicates but they aren't
    investigating to learn what's available or seeking to find the coins
    they lack.

Kennedys have also been popular among more advanced collectors
    at least since the late '70's. Wile's landmark "The Kennedy Half Dol-
    lar Book" wasn't released until 1998 but many years of study went
    into it.

These coins seem to be getting a lot of increased attention recently
    as more people realize what a great and popular set they have be-
    come. All of the regular issue coins are quite affordable in nice at-
    tractive condition and even gems aren't too pricey. The proofs and
    special issues also are, for the main part, very affordable. There's e-
    nough challenge to make the set exciting.

The toughest part of the design to find free of marks is the top of
    the shield on the reverse. Also watch for the periphery lettering to
    be fully struck up and the tops rounded in cross section.

Burnside_Q likes this.
  9. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

I'll have to look up Wile's "The Kennedy Half Dollar Book". Thanks for the comments.

10. Silver Goose

Silver Goose Member

kennedys

Have collected on and off different stuff over 40 years past 3 have gotten a little more serious esp kennedys ... just a fan I guess have some holes in my date sets and always looking to up grade .... mising a few of the new ones but do a fair amount of roll searching and stop at as many banks in a week as I can to pick up rolls or singles .... my prize is a 1964 proof set with accented hair have picked up 2002 2004 2006 in roll searches also 1970 d over past year .... good hunting and trust you enjoy as much as I do...

11. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I'm not into dead Presidents on coins unless it's maybe a one year thing. I don't like to collect the folks that are on paper money either. Just my tastes.

Ed Sims likes this.
  12. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

kennedy half need to change its design. either obverse or reverse.

13. Wren

Wren Senior Member

i collect them

14. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

These need to start circulating again to increase the popularity. Unforunately being larger than the current unpopular dollars that is unlikely.

I'm in the camp of being a casual collector, I have a Dansco Album and occasionally I will fill a hole.

15. ernie11

ernie11 Member

I think I have a complete set, unless, of course, "complete" includes varieties like the double dies, the accented hair, the mint mark Types 1 and 2, etc. etc.

16. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

I am a serious collector and dealer in Kennedys, so please let me know if you are looking for something special. I am constantly buying and upgrading my own collection, and selling my duplicates and lower (relatively)-grade pieces. This includes the many Cherrypickers' varieties, some easy, some really tough (anyone have a 1972-D No FG they want to sell?) My PCGS Registry Sets are under "giorgio11" at the PCGS website, but you have to be a PCGS member to see them. My highest-ranked sets are #5 All-Time Finest, including the Complete Varieties, BU and Proof, 180-something coins in all. (NGC members can see many of the same coins under "aureus11/VDB Coins.")

The thing I like most about the Kennedys is the sheer size and scope of the series. It is actually longer now than Morgan dollars! LMK your best PCGS/NGC coins!

Best Regards,

George
    VDB Coins

17. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

I just photographed a '64 Proof DCAM for someone and It makes me want to get a little more serious on these. The fields and frost is just amazing.

18. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I have a complete set of Kennedy halves taken from circulation (except the last few years which weren't circulated. I like the coin, and someday will upgrade my collection. I also search through boxes of halves on a weekly basis. I have found 5-6 circulated proofs, a 1982 no FG, a terrific struck through error, and some other die cracks, etc. I have found a bunch of silver as well (I LOVE finding silver!).

I really, realy like the size of a half dollar. This is a great series to collect and may be one of the ones I concentrate on after finishing my danscos....

19. Tallpaul000

Tallpaul000 Searcher

go to the bank and start going thru rolls. You will learned a lot about the series this way.

20. Art

Art Numismatist?

I have two sets of Kennedys underway. My Dansco set is all Gems and I have a set in folders that have come from circulation (roll searches and such). It's a fun series and I think rather attractive. When I can get rolls these days, I take the few keepers and spend the rest. The half is actually a very convenient coin for daily use.

21. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

As Giorgio says, it is a HUGE set. I think this is the frustrating part of the series. Since most of the dates & mintmarks are reasonable in cost, there is a temptation to "hurry up" and try to complete the set when in fact, a set of this size should normally require years to find exactly what you want.

Personally, I stop my modern sets at 1991 since I collect the proofs as well and don't really want to get involved in the silver proofs that began in 1992.

Draft saved Draft deleted