How Many of You Coin Roll Hunters purchase silver too?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Bman33, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I've been CRH since February of this year. I have found over 20oz of silver. I also purchase 90% Junk, rounds, and Bullion coins. CRH has kept my average cost per ounce down to $16.85 even with some high premiums I paid for bullion coins and rounds. Just wanted to know if some of you purchase or rely on just CRH for your silver needs.

Christopher290 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

I bought bullion, private mint and ASEs until May, then starting hitting CRH heavy since the end of April. I have found in MRW, CRW and teller trays, approximately 123oz. I've been through 36k in halves, averaging about $2k per week. This week though I've ordered 10 boxes, since I'll miss searching the week of Labor Day. It's a lot of work because I pick up two boxes, search then dump at the credit union fee free, rinse and repeat. I have not calculated my cost per ounce though.

Christopher290, Bman33 and TJ1952 like this.
  4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's crazy in a beautiful way. Wish I had that luck with boxes. There are a ton of banks around me and I am going to get more aggressive with all the ones I am not members of. At least ask them if they have any loose halves if they say they don't have rolls. Loom is has the market covered as far as rolls go in my area. Some must have CWR's somewhere though. Gotta get them somehow!

Christopher290 likes this.
  5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I've searched a few $20.00 cent boxes, plus some dime and nickel rolls. Nothing major. I'm thinking of moving up "big time" (for me) and CRH a box of half's. I've never done it before. I don't even know if I can find a box of half's. My financial institution is a credit union. I don't know if they have them on hand, I haven't checked yet.

Before I go, can you give me any tips? Will the banks give me the coins without having an account? Will I have to order them? Besides Franklin's, Walking Liberty's (I wish) 90% & 40%'ers, is there anything else you look for? ...errors? etc..

When I find a bank or credit union that has them, should I ask the vault manager to bring out that old brown box that's been sitting in the corner of the vault for years? :happy::greedy::happy:

Bman- You can give me your opinion as well. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Christopher290 and Bman33 like this.
  6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Truble and CT Roll Hunter seem to have systems that go beyond luck in my opinion. I just rely on boxes. Although this weekend I started asking for loose halves and got 3 40%ers. You gotta be polite but aggressive too. I am starting to go to banks that I am not a member of and I get some results. If you ask a teller for halves they might say no, but that is just one teller. The other ones might have some so ask politely if any of the other tellers might have some too. I live in an area where most banks rely on Loomis rolls and all would be CWR go into the coin counting machines. I am trying to find smaller banks and Credit Unions that don't have machines and rely on customers to roll their coins. If they say they don't give there coins to non costumers then just move on. Nothing bad will happen to you. Halves are where it's at. I stopped cents and dimes awhile back.

Christopher290 and TJ1952 like this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Another tactic I am going to try is to ask for loose halves first. If they have them then ask "by the way, do you have any rolls of halves in the back".

Christopher290 and TJ1952 like this.
  8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Great points. Thanks! I would also think that half's are to big and bulky to handle. Plus, I would think bank employees have to move those heavy $500.00 boxes around which is probably a pain in the butt. You would think they would love to get rid of them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  9. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

Have not had the best of luck with coin roll hunting but i shall continue trying!

Mad Stax, TJ1952 and Bman33 like this.
  10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the female tellers kind of struggle getting them to you because they are pretty heavy. Anyways, let's get our tactics down and ready for the week ahead and get some silver. I am going to hit banks on my lunch break, after work, and of course on Saturdays.

TJ1952 and Christopher290 like this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Also, I am headed to Texas for a business trip next month. There will be a ton of banks to hit as I will be driving the whole time. Trips are some of the best times to CRH. I will be using company paid for gas too!

12. Christopher290

Nice!

13. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

You better get heavy duty shocks put on that vehicle for all those boxes of half's :hilarious::greedy::)

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Also, I will be going through several small towns. That means small banks that probably won't use Loomis and have CWR.

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping all those halves will be silver! I did a business trip to Wyoming a couple of months ago and I was able to get dumps in at My bank, Wells Fargo, because they seem to have a branch on every block.

16. Christopher290

17. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

I work in a small town and have been buying boxes for about two years. All of the coins at that bank are Garda. My dump Credit Union (free) is also Garda, so I run in to a lot of duplicates. I can't wait to find a bank that uses Loomis or Brinks.

18. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Where in Texas will you be going?

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Amarillo and Lubbock

20. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

10 hours from me LOL I'm in East Texas

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my company does a lot of work in the Panahandle and the oil patch near Odessa. We're also in Witchita Falls right now too.

Draft saved Draft deleted